Steering wheel Audio Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bury

Reaction score
2015 Expy, my audio control on the steering wheel is failing intermittently. When it fails I can't adjust volume, channels, make calls, or anything. Later or next day it might be fine. Controls on the dash are fine. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
B

Bury

Reaction score
Thanks for that link, did more research, definitely thinks its the clock spring. Going home last night and again this morning when I tried to change the radio station instead it made a phone call. Doesn't look too hard to change out.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The system works by different buttons applying different resistance into the circuit. So it can be the clockspring or the switch. If it appears at all related to the wheel position or rotation, I'd go with the clockspring. If the problem's consistent, I'd start with the switch. The switches are pretty hardy, and can be had used on ebay.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had mine just randomly freak out, do things they weren't supposed to do and be fine. I've tested output from them 2 different times and it's where it should be. My guess is something somewhere doesnt like moving is going to eventually break (clock spring or wires leading from). Its causing a difference in resistance when it does it. An alternate function that's just slightly different resistance is performed. Down volume will become up, mute wont work, google/voice trigger will switch sources, etc.

I was sure it was my steering wheel interface for the aftermarket radio but even after installing an updated model w new firmware its happened since. Completely random though and hasn't been a thing for about 6 months now.

iamthedavem

Reaction score
My 2016 has been randomly changing volume, stations, and audio sources. The first thing I did to attempt a fix was the remove the switch from the right side of the steering wheel and clean it with electronic component cleaning spray. That did not make any difference at all. It doesn't always do it and in fact, it can go for weeks without doing it and then start up again for no apparent reason. I was convinced it was the clockspring so I ordered one to replace it but the one that came was the wrong one. I put it back together and returned the spring and then the problem ceased to exist so I decided to put it off some more thinking maybe I had moved something that needed to be moved or whatever. Either way, I figured if it starting acting up again I could always order the clockspring again. After about 4 weeks, it started up again so I just ordered another clockspring. I guess if it fails again, I will try replacing the right side steering wheel switch array. I will update my post a few weeks after I replace the clockspring or if it fails again right away.

Matt Ostrem

Reaction score
My 2015 just did the same but both switch packs went bad simultaneously. Ordered and replaced the clock spring, easy job, and now both sides work.

OP
OP
B

Bury

Reaction score
Update, had the clock spring changed, works fine now. FYI, bought the clock spring from Advanced Auto on line, note said "This will fit your vehicle". It didn't, got one from Ford. Local Advanced Auto did give me a refund for the on-line purchase no questions asked.

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update, had the clock spring changed, works fine now. FYI, bought the clock spring from Advanced Auto on line, note said "This will fit your vehicle". It didn't, got one from Ford. Local Advanced Auto did give me a refund for the on-line purchase no questions asked.
Congratulations on the parts return to aap. They usually deny electronic parts refunds after you open the bag.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

iamthedavem

Reaction score
Well, I've changed my clockspring and also the switch array on the right side of the steering wheel and I still have the problem. Of course, it's intermittent, so that makes it harder to figure out. I assume there is no problem on the left side switch array since all the functions on the left side work properly all the time. I'm beginning to run out of stuff to change. I haven't done anything with the dashboard switches yet but maybe that should be the next thing on the list. Not much else except for the radio and it just seems improbable to me that the problem is in the radio since there are really no moving parts in it. Anyone have any ideas or has anyone else solved their problem with a new dashboard switch set?