Steering Wheel Audio controls intermittently unresponsive-2017 Expy XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Newf Mobile

Reaction score
Hello! Have been enjoying my used 2017 Expedition XLT since February after trading in my beloved 2000 Expy XLT. And--wow a lot has changed in those 17 years! One of which is the audio controls on the steering wheel which-unfortunately- is now causing a little grief as occasionally the volume and/or channel buttons won't respond when I push them. Sometimes if I try to change channels and no response I'll hit the audio change button and if that works I'll go back to the channel button and then it will respond. Seems to be more evident after I've been driving for a bit. I've looked on this forum for similar issues but didn't see any prior postings--so I apologize if I missed previous postings/solutions. I've also Googled -and while I found maybe one or two similar situations I didn't find any possible solutions though one person did post that there maybe some build up underneath the buttons which just needs to be cleaned. Maybe the gunk is preventing contact? If that's the case--how do I remove the buttons and clean the contacts? Single girl here-but growing up with 5 brothers, I can do some mechanical stuff. Oh--and owning a 2000 VW Bug TDI I learned to do a lot of stuff to avoid dealer repair costs! So hopefully this issue is an easy fix! Thanks in advance for any advice!

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was having the same trouble with my 2007 Expedition EL and found a replacement on ebay. Very easy fix, just pry out the whole switch unplug from wiring and plugin the new one. Controls now working as designed.
Check You Tub, there are lots of how to's.

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Newf Mobile

Reaction score
Thanks so much! Life got in the way for a bit but now free to give your suggestions a try! :) Let you know how it goes! Always like posts that have--hopefully!--a happy ending posted!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire