Steering wheel grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my way to work this morning, when turning the steering wheel there was a weird noise inside the cab. It sounded like a thin piece of metal, maybe a spring, was getting chewed up inside the steering column when i would turn the wheel either direction. The noise went away just before I arrived at work, even after 2 sharp turns from steering lock to steering lock. Steering wheel controls still work.

Does this sound like the clock spring? Any way to lubricate the thing or test it to know this is the problem part?

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-clock-spring-5l1z14a664a/ any options that are less than $260??

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My steering hasn't done anything like that, but it does squeak when I'm turning it, and it's only started now that the weather is getting cold.. can I just spray a bunch of WD40 behind it and see if that quiets it?

Plati

Reaction score
WD40 fixes everything. If that doesnt work try Plasti-dip.