Strange Electrical Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottmeiners

Reaction score
hello,

hopefully someone can help with a strange electrical issue that just popped up with my 09 xlt. A couple weeks ago I had my oil changed at an instant oil change place and they told me my battery was going bad. now a few weeks later, I drove 400 miles from Cincinnati to Grand Rapids Michigan and started having weird electrical issues. When the problems start, the power outlets on the dash go out, the from blower motor cuts out, my dome lights will not work and my head lights come on, but w/o my fog lights. I noticed this happening when i was sitting in traffic. So, I went to auto zone and had my battery checked and it was bad so I got a new one. Also had my alternator tested and it also passed their test. I thought my problem was fixed for a while but no every once and a awhile this electrical problem will pop up. it must me a short somewhere or something. A few times I was able to get everything to go back to normal if I slammed my drivers door very hard. Tonight I was sitting in the drive through for a while and it did it again. unfortunately slamming the door did not work and when i turned my truck off, the headlights were staying on. I ended up driving around for a little bit then everything came back on. Does anybody have any ideas where to start looking? When this electrical problem starts, the radio work fine, the dimmer switch works fine, the rear air conditioner works fine.

Thanks for reading my really long explanation, but it seems really weird. The problems started on Saturday but has not been a problem the last two days.

thanks,

Scott

OP
OP
S

scottmeiners

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. where should I begin to look for grounds. I don't really have any idea where to start looking. does anybody know if one set of wires controls the dome lights, front blower motor and head lights?

FordCustSrvc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hello,

hopefully someone can help with a strange electrical issue that just popped up with my 09 xlt. A couple weeks ago I had my oil changed at an instant oil change place and they told me my battery was going bad. now a few weeks later, I drove 400 miles from Cincinnati to Grand Rapids Michigan and started having weird electrical issues. When the problems start, the power outlets on the dash go out, the from blower motor cuts out, my dome lights will not work and my head lights come on, but w/o my fog lights...

Hi scottmeiners.

I recommend visiting a Ford dealer to have this concern diagnosed. Let me know what you find out!

Ashley

OP
OP
S

scottmeiners

Reaction score
i am fairly mechanical, however I do not know what a DVM is. the three different times I have driven it today have been problem free. Hopefully my drive back to Kentucky tomorrow will go uneventfully

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
S

scottmeiners

Reaction score
I do have a volt meter and would be willing to check things out. I just have no idea where to start looking. this is a weird problem, on my trip back home, the think cut out a few times, sometimes after hitting bumps in the road, other times seemed at random. Also, when the "Problem" was occurring, my windshield wipers do not work. (which I found out during a rain shower on the drive home). If I can't figure something out I will end up at the dealer, but I need to make sure that it is acting up consistently before they will be able to find out whats going on. Thanks again for your assistance.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd hit ebay and get a wiring manual. That will allow you to see the logic that was used, where everything is located and what ties into what.
It would also tell you what is controlled by the GEM, if it has one.

Troubleshooting an intermittent electrical problem is accomplished one of two ways. The first is a time intensive diagnosis of hunting for it. The other is a somewhat educated guess of throwing parts at it until the problem is found. Both can get expensive if your paying someone to do it.

You may have a loose or broken connection at some point. It could be a broken wire somewhere in the harness, a broken pin in a connector, a bad GEM, etc.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding it with a dvm and or test light. You just need the time and patience.