Strange Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFlyingFord

Reaction score
So we've had our '99 Eddie Bauer 4x4 since the day it rolled off the lot in December of '98. We've only really added gas and changed the oil with no real problems...except for the electrical system. It started around 12 years ago with the rear window wiper not working. Then, a couple years later the windshield wipers would just randomly start wiping while we were driving, and still do at least once while we're driving. Most recently, the odometer display will just randomly turn off, and then turn on again a few minutes/hours later. We've also had to replace a coil or two every year or so. I'm not sure if all these are connected some how, and if it's a wiring issue, computer issue, or something completely different, but I'd love to see if anyone else has had any of these issues.
Thanks!
-Zane

(Not sure whether to post this in the electrical section or this section, so I apologize if it's kinda out of place. haha!)

bmrisko

Reaction score
I can't say for sure about the odometer, but I had some strange wiper issues on my '98 that ended up being the turn signal/wiper stalk. It is a quick fix and the Motorcraft part is priced fair. If you still have the OEM one, it may be worth replacing it to see if it cures the wiper issues.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
They sound unrelated. It's a 20year old truck and I've had several of the issues with my 2000. The front wiper always did that one wipe from time to time. The rear wiper needed the motor replaced once because the shaft rusted and binded. I've replaced two coils. This stuff happens.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the others. Turn signal stalk. And the solder joints on back of odometer go bad. My 2000 does same thing. Nothing out of ordinary here. Pretty normal stuff for your year.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

sonofagun

Reaction score
I bought a '99 Eddie Bauer new. It had a safety recall done because of the wipers having a mind of their own. I also lost the drive to my rear wiper. Although I never had it repaired, I believe the wiper motor failure was relatively common if my memory serves.

GIJOE0916

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the rear wiper. It turned out not to be the motor but the latch for the rear window. If the rear window is not completely close the rear wiper will not work; that same latch becomes defective and will not allow the circuit to close. I bypassed mine and it works perfectly again. As far as the odometer go to EBay motors and search for: 2000 Ford F-150 odometer cluster repair. It cost $48.99, but when you get your cluster back is completely refurbished (like new!!)

obilio

Reaction score
Hi i have a 99 ford expedition Eddie bouer as well.this is the issue i found on my electrical situations.(locks and windows)rear.i check the wires on the edge of the floor driver side and passenger side.i have found couple wires toasted and rusted which have broke the wire to the rear Windows and lock.this can happend due to 2 issues..leaking water from the top or bottom of the windshield both sides and 2nd as you know ours suvs tend to get rusted on the edge of the floor and or rocker panels.check too the fuse box under the dash look for rust and water damage.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you or someone you trust is capable with a solder iron, the instrument cluster repair is easy. There is even a youtube video that shows the work needed. The 2003+ was a little different than the 1st gens, but mine hasn't blinked in months since working on it.

I agree with the others on the rear wiper, replace the stalk.

Also, in my opinion you posted in the right spot. I, and seemingly many others, check the more active forum pages (1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen, etc..) but don't dig through all the smaller ones as often (electrical, engine, etc...)

StarWatcher

Reaction score
As Bain64 posted above the odometer issue is cracked solder on a pin on the circuit board behind the instrument cluster. It is actually a very easy fix if you have any soldering experience. You do have to take the dash apart. It’s not as hard as you may think. I had the issue with my 2000 Expedition. There are several YouTube videos describing the repair. One Saturday morning I parked my Expedition in the garage. I dropped the backseat and set up a box fan there blowing forward. I set up my iPad in the front passenger seat along with some tools. I took my time following one of the videos to take the dash apart being careful to organize the parts for when I would reassemble them. I removed the instrument cluster and placed it in my workbench. A couple of quick touches of the soldering iron on the pin with cracked solder and on another pin the video recommended should be repaired. Be very careful to not overheat the pins as you could damage electrical components. Reinstall the instrument cluster and put the dash back together following the video. The job was not hard but does take at least a couple of hours. I took a little extra time just being careful and taking breaks to get cool drinks on a hot day. The odometer display has been solid ever since.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My 2000 XLT has/had the same issue with Odometer and rear wiper. The rear wiper motor has aluminum housing and a steel shaft. The 2 dissimilar metals 'weld' themselves together. The odometer is just a bad solder connection. Driving with a bad coil, dumps raw gas into the catalytic converters, a big dollar part. It might be time to replace the rest of the coils, they are 20 years old.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni