Strange noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderjet

Reaction score
Our Expedition has a strange noise. It doesn't happen all the time so I ruled out a rock caught in the caliper or wheel bearing issue. It sounds like it is coming from the right front of the vehicle, passenger side. Almost like a piece of metal flapping around. Wife was very concerned today, told me to go listen to it as she drove, nothing for a few minutes, then it comes and goes. No consistency to the sound.
Going to put the front end on ramps tomorrow and crawl underneath but was hoping to get a head start on where to look.
Thanks
2016 Limited, 3.5, 51,000 miles.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our Expedition has a strange noise. It doesn't happen all the time so I ruled out a rock caught in the caliper or wheel bearing issue. It sounds like it is coming from the right front of the vehicle, passenger side. Almost like a piece of metal flapping around. Wife was very concerned today, told me to go listen to it as she drove, nothing for a few minutes, then it comes and goes. No consistency to the sound.
Going to put the front end on ramps tomorrow and crawl underneath but was hoping to get a head start on where to look.
Thanks

Noises can travel and be hard to locate.

Have any work done recently - where something would be left loose or not reassembled correctly? Have the front HVAC motor recall done recently? Could there be something loose under the glovebox, or loose inside the glovebox? Are the front hood bumpers in place and adjusted?

OP
OP
T

Thunderjet

Reaction score
Noises can travel and be hard to locate.

Have any work done recently - where something would be left loose or not reassembled correctly? Have the front HVAC motor recall done recently? Could there be something loose under the glovebox, or loose inside the glovebox? Are the front hood bumpers in place and adjusted?
I'll check all that you mentioned. The front HVAC recall was done about 3-4 months ago. Glove box is fine. Noise is definitely coming from outside and underneath.

OP
OP
T

Thunderjet

Reaction score
Pulled her up on the ramps today. Checked everything I could touch to see if anything was loose, nothing.
Then pulled off the wheel. Nothing wrong that I could find. Wheel travel was smooth and quiet, no play in bearing.
Took it for 5 mile test drive.....and not a sound, lol.
Guess I am in limbo until it does it again.
Wife made a service appointment but will cancel it. Hard to get it fixed if they can't hear the noise to begin with. I'll update if any change in the future.

Glen B Ashcroft

Reaction score
i am not sure what the exact term is but the hub lock outs, make a noise when they don't disengage fully

putting it in 4A makes the noise go away

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new, and it is probably almost identical to yours.

For some time I have a “hooting” noise when driving smoothly and lifting the accelerator pedal - various speeds.

Someone else posted on this forum with the same noise, but no diagnosis. It is 3-4 brief notes, in descending scale.

I also have a light tapping noise in the LF (I think) after the vehicle is parked overnight, and then started and driven slowly away (residential neighborhood). It feels as though someone is tapping on the floor board with a piece of wood.

I’ve had it to the Ford dealer several times for these issues, and they insist there is no noise. However, it occurs after I pick up the vehicle and drive off the lot.

I’ve replaced a variety of vacuum lines, check valve, brake booster fitting, Degas bottle cap, etc., at my expense - hopping it would cure the issue. It hasn’t.

I believe the noises are related to the 4WD system, due to the numerous vacuum lines.

I have an Ford Premium Extended Serve Plan that won’t expired for another 1 1/2 years. I’m hoping something significant goes wrong involving the noises, so I can have it repaired.

rslynes

Reaction score
It might also be a loose or deformed lower shield adjacent to the radiator skid plate (there's one on each side). FL1Z-78001A06-A

I had one flapping around making a similar noise as the rubbery material loosens up over time and starts slapping the skid plate and other suspension items. New ones are around $175.00, so I wasn't going to replace it

Heat gun and 2 zip ties fixed it. The zip ties by themselves would probably also be sufficient.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett