Strange sound from engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cth777

Reaction score
Hi- I started hearing a strange sound from the engine last night driving home, and I would love some help identifying it. I also could feel air rushing across the left side of the engine (when looking towards the back of the car)- not sure if it is normal. I will put in a link to a video of the engine running, I am not sure if it is clear enough to discern the sound; it is as if the engine noise is making a completely new sound while running. New Engine sound - YouTube
Thanks
EDIT: 4.6L

Last edited:

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the video, but almost sounds like a bearing squall.
Have you checked the bearings in the belt idlers?

OP
OP
C

cth777

Reaction score
Hi- thanks for your quick reply. No, I have not checked them- I really have zero car mechanics know-how, but I will look up those and try to check them. I did not think it sounded like a bearing, but I am not sure. Is it normal for air to be rushing down one side?

OP
OP
C

cth777

Reaction score
Also, while I am here, what do you think would be good to include in a 150k mile "tune-up" on a budget?/what do you think the cost would be? I hope one day I know enough to actually be of help on this forum with topics other than speakers. ;)

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the rushing air from the fan...?

I would agree it sounds like a bearing somewhere. Remove the belt and spin the accessories by hand to see if you can identify which one it is. You should be able to feel it grinding compared to the rest that are smooth.

For a good tune-up, spark plugs, coils (plugs are a pain in the A** so do the coils while you are there to avoid having to do the project twice), fuel filter, air filter. Total cost will probably be around 300 or so depending on parts you get.

chucks97expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would try some spray on the belt to see if that noise goes away. Those belts make noise at any given time when they're time is up. Mine did and I knew it was old but never got around to replacing it, I sprayed mine with wd40(only recommended if your going to change the belt)and the noise went away...bingo...belt replacement time. As far as the air rushing across the motor? The fan pulls air in from the front of the engine through the radiator to keep the motor running at temperature. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN THE TRUCK IS RUNNING AS THE FAN IS ALWAYS SPINNING (very easy to loose some fingers if your poking around in there while its running) If you haven't changed the surpentine belt then that could be the problem.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah Chuck has a good point. If you check the belt, there should not be cracks on the smooth side. Minimal cracking on the ribbed side is ok, but if its like one crack every 3 inches its bad. Also if you have spilled antifreeze on it recently, it will squeak forever.

OP
OP
C

cth777

Reaction score
I will check the belts tomorrow; I did not have time today and it is already pitch black out. Trust me, I am very careful around the engine when it is running, I know enough stories of people getting hurt. I realize there would be air blowing from the fan, but recently there is something that sounds like a sucking noise or air blowing through a small opening. The noise sometimes stops after 15 seconds of warming up, sometimes doesn't.

hades02

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a/c compressor bearing. Mine sounded like that and would disappear after a minute or so after start up. Siezed up after 800 miles. Expy has 189k miles on her. I have decided to replace the entire compressor and water pump while I'm at it. Like everyone else has said, remove the serpentine and spin all the pulleys.

OP
OP
C

cth777

Reaction score
Well my belts are all fine... the sound also has mostly stopped. However, there is a humming noise now. Its been like a symphony of sounds recently... new one every day!