Strange startup issue after some repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laiod

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've just had a strange issue with my 2001 Expedition and it not starting. So what happened was that a few days ago I was replacing the right side spindle, rotors, and bearing assembly. I went to start the vehicle up, it made a loud screech noise, didn't start. Then after that I tried to start it and it started up no problem.

A day ago I finished doing the left side of this job, and the truck just didn't start. For about a second or so everything on the truck lit up like normal, but the truck made a click noise (sounded similar to that, and only one click) and didn't start. All the electric in the vehicle just didn't work until I jumped it with my other car. I let it run for a bit, everything ran normally, I even drove it around town for a little bit. When I came back and shut it off, I went to start it back up immediately, and the same issue where there was a click sound and all the electric in the vehicle just didn't work.

I found out today I could get the electric working again by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but when trying to start, the same click sound and electric dying out happened again. The truck starts up no problem when I jump it (I have to let it run for about 5-10 min before it starts up). Honestly I have no idea what the issue is. I put in a new starter and new battery in the truck about 2 months ago after it had been sitting for 2 years, and the truck started right up with no hiccups. Before I did the repairs done in the past few days, I would start the truck a minimum of twice a week and let it run for 15 min. Even took it for weekend drives.

I haven't had a chance to take the battery to get tested yet, but does anyone have any ideas of what to look for? I'm lost.

Thank you in advance for any help, it's much appreciated!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Either a bad battery (dead cell ?) or bad battery cable(s). The terminal posts are clean right ? Since it's starting up fine when you jump it I would suspect the battery.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to take the battery to get tested yet, but does anyone have any ideas of what to look for? I'm lost.
Have the battery tested. If its ok Check your battery cables. Pay special attention to the ground cable where it hooks to the Chassis/engine (they have been known to have corrosion inside the wire insulation where you can't see it)
Here is a video on how to check the cables

OP
OP
L

laiod

Reaction score
Hello guys. I know it's been awhile since I made this post, but I figured I'd provide a small update anyway.

Battery ended up being a bad battery (somehow), and got a new one for free under warranty. When I brought the new one back and put it into the vehicle, it started up with 0 hassle. However, when I tried to start the truck again within 5 minutes of first shutting it off (mind you this is within a 10 minute span of the new battery being freshly installed), the same click and short out happened again. Same issues as before, different battery. :/

I cannot see the video you linked Yupster, but I planned to take out the battery cable assembly and just inspect the cables for any corrosion throughout the entire thing. I've had to put this project to the side a bit hence the long time period in between replies and the time I've been able to work on the vehicle.

Hopefully I'll be able to fully sort it out in the next few weeks or so; the truck runs beautifully when it actually runs.

EDIT: I will post an update when I get around to pulling out the assembly and checking it; I have to replace a brake line before I get to that (unrelated to the issue at hand).

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I cannot see the video you linked Yupster,
Look up VOLTAGE DROP TEST, plenty of videos on it. don't go for the in school ones(teaching you how a starting system works) but the ones that just show you what to do.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear wiper motor is notorious for not parking correctly and draining the battery while parked. Remove the relays for the rear wiper and see if the problems go away.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The screech you described is likely a fly wheel missing a tooth. Mine has been doing it for 10 years. Batter is getting drained. check yor cables and ground and reinstall after cleaning. It's possible you have a short in the starter.