Strange tranny behavior (I think).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the explanations. I will give this a shot on the long drive home, with that said, I'll be curious what the bet effect is since this trip (and most of mine for that matter) include several mountain passes of 8k plus feet.

I'd like to limit the thuds if possible, rather not destroy anything.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So it sounds like a trans tune issue... Might be worth mentioning to the service manager. I'd tell them you can trigger rear end collision level shifts pretty much on the fly and show them.

Anybody with a trans tune want to try this and see if they were able to fix the issue?

Mike K

Reaction score
Yesterday at 5:07 AM#20

New
Dice Roll hit it on the head. The Lockup is VERY sensitive in these 10 Speeds. Basically it changes gear with out an unlock under some conditions. I have logged it. And it causes that jolt, because it is a hard connection and not through fluid.

Cruise Control is actually not affected itself by Modes, throttle mapping is. Cruise control uses the same throttle mapping of the active mode, just for clarity. End result, is why like wakeboarder I prefer Eco when using Cruise, throttle input is smoother.

Thanks for the tips. I have a 2019 max xlt and I use my cruise control a lot,living here on the big island. Should I be keeping the mode on eco when in cruise control?

Teasip

Reaction score
Frankly I don't trust ACC. Too many complaints of rapid breaking, rapid acceleration. Maybe the clunking is because the ACC does not behave a like a normal person would drive? FYI, glad I don't have or use ACC on my 2018 Expedition Max. When I am in cruise control on the Interstate driving I stay alert and anticipate situations ahead etc., feathering the throttle up and down via steering wheel buttons. When passing I feather up usually staying in gear 10, I have gotten 25 mph on 1000 mile trips via Interstates.
67099112_2592772127399950_9165405487485681664_o.jpg

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As for the cross winds, when you need tires make sure to buy Light Truck (LT) tires. They have stiffer sidewalls and will not react as much to crosswinds. They will require a higher tire pressure and will ride a bit harsher.
Thanks for the advice. Now on to the fun stuff, so on the way back (another 6 hour or so drive), i had some more fun.

About a third of the way back, with the vehicle on ACC and using Eco mode, I had CEL. Basically, I had deactivated ACC by using the brake while coming down a pass. immediately after hitting the brake to slow down, I got the CEL.

Once I got home, I hooked up forscan to review the DTC's and found a plethora of these puppies, now to be fair, some of these I've had quite a few times, almost every time I hook up forscan. And at least one of them I'm guessing was due to updating Sync to 3.4 a couple weeks ago.
DTC's:
P130D:00-68 - looked this up, looks like just about anything can cause this. Anyone experience this one due to a CAI? I have the proper breathing tube piece that is supposed to help stop this (came with the CAI), that's all i can think of.
U0184:00-08, U024B:00-08, U024C:00-08 - looked these up, I've seen these almost every time I hook up my forscan. Looks to be network issues with the seat control modules. Assuming this is kind of normal in these?
U0140:00-08 - looked this up and I can't find much info on it, i didn't see any bulletins that matched the 2019 Expy related to this, thoughts?
B1471:13-08 - again i think this is related to the seat control module losing connectivity.

Update 2 to this thread:
Just went on two separate about 1.5hr drives today, and both times, this thing had roughly the same DTC's. And I just realized this means that my four hour drive yesterday, and 3 hours today were both running in reduce power mode. Not happy.
So on both of these short runs, the DTC happened as I was slowly accelerating on the highway, running around 75mph in 10th gear. Both times this happened, the vehicle was shifting from 10th to 9th under light acceleration on the highway, starting around 70mph, and at around 2k RPM.
This time, the two codes were P130D:00-6C.

Any thoughts? I don't think this is intake related at all, given that this has never happened to me, until that massive clunk for which this post is about, and I haven't modified anything on this recently. This seems transmission related.

Appreciate the help, I've only put 5K miles on this thing, I'm not going to be happy if this thing has tranny issues already.

This is fun!

Last edited:
OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Frankly I don't trust ACC. Too many complaints of rapid breaking, rapid acceleration. Maybe the clunking is because the ACC does not behave a like a normal person would drive? FYI, glad I don't have or use ACC on my 2018 Expedition Max. When I am in cruise control on the Interstate driving I stay alert and anticipate situations ahead etc., feathering the throttle up and down via steering wheel buttons. When passing I feather up usually staying in gear 10, I have gotten 25 mph on 1000 mile trips via Interstates.

I get it, I too prefer to be in control but ACC is nice. I had it on my 2011 WK2 and it worked flawlessly. Of course that system was based on LiDar so we'll see how this one goes. I believe this one is just a combination of radar and camera correct (assuming because there is no LiDar pod on the front of this that I've found yet). Regardless, It works great, and I averaged about 21mpg but that's up and down several thousand feet of elevation over about 3 small to large mountain passes, and some 30-40mph winds. I consider that pretty good.

Jay Dubs

Reaction score
Dice Roll hit it on the head. The Lockup is VERY sensitive in these 10 Speeds. Basically it changes gear with out an unlock under some conditions. I have logged it. And it causes that jolt, because it is a hard connection and not through fluid.

Cruise Control is actually not affected itself by Modes, throttle mapping is. Cruise control uses the same throttle mapping of the active mode, just for clarity. End result, is why like wakeboarder I prefer Eco when using Cruise, throttle input is smoother.

Does a code get thrown or is there some way for the dealer to see the lockup issue without being able to reproduce?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does a code get thrown or is there some way for the dealer to see the lockup issue without being able to reproduce?

I have not seen it throw a code, but didn't look specifically for it. I am not sure it is an "issue". It might be expected behavior. If it is an issue for you, I recommend getting it on the books with your Service Writer, so that if it gets worse after warranty is out, it might be covered as a preexisting issue.

I tend to squeeze the throttle vs punch from driving diesels for so many years. I have only felt the issue maybe 2 times. I have seen it happen when logging but didn't feel it. So I think under lighter throttle inputs it is a non-issue.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not seen it throw a code, but didn't look specifically for it. I am not sure it is an "issue". It might be expected behavior. If it is an issue for you, I recommend getting it on the books with your Service Writer, so that if it gets worse after warranty is out, it might be covered as a preexisting issue.

I tend to squeeze the throttle vs punch from driving diesels for so many years. I have only felt the issue maybe 2 times. I have seen it happen when logging but didn't feel it. So I think under lighter throttle inputs it is a non-issue.
Hey LokiWolf, did you happen to see this update (curious if these codes in anyway could be happening because of the massive clunk, never had them before that event):

Thanks for the advice. Now on to the fun stuff, so on the way back (another 6 hour or so drive), i had some more fun.

About a third of the way back, with the vehicle on ACC and using Eco mode, I had CEL. Basically, I had deactivated ACC by using the brake while coming down a pass. immediately after hitting the brake to slow down, I got the CEL.

Once I got home, I hooked up forscan to review the DTC's and found a plethora of these puppies, now to be fair, some of these I've had quite a few times, almost every time I hook up forscan. And at least one of them I'm guessing was due to updating Sync to 3.4 a couple weeks ago.
DTC's:
P130D:00-68 - looked this up, looks like just about anything can cause this. Anyone experience this one due to a CAI? I have the proper breathing tube piece that is supposed to help stop this (came with the CAI), that's all i can think of.
U0184:00-08, U024B:00-08, U024C:00-08 - looked these up, I've seen these almost every time I hook up my forscan. Looks to be network issues with the seat control modules. Assuming this is kind of normal in these?
U0140:00-08 - looked this up and I can't find much info on it, i didn't see any bulletins that matched the 2019 Expy related to this, thoughts?
B1471:13-08 - again i think this is related to the seat control module losing connectivity.

Update 2 to this thread:
Just went on two separate about 1.5hr drives today, and both times, this thing had roughly the same DTC's. And I just realized this means that my four hour drive yesterday, and 3 hours today were both running in reduce power mode. Not happy.
So on both of these short runs, the DTC happened as I was slowly accelerating on the highway, running around 75mph in 10th gear. Both times this happened, the vehicle was shifting from 10th to 9th under light acceleration on the highway, starting around 70mph, and at around 2k RPM.
This time, the two codes were P130D:00-6C.

Any thoughts? I don't think this is intake related at all, given that this has never happened to me, until that massive clunk for which this post is about, and I haven't modified anything on this recently. This seems transmission related.

Appreciate the help, I've only put 5K miles on this thing, I'm not going to be happy if this thing has tranny issues already.

This is fun!