Stranger Things

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tater

Reaction score
Took my 2015 Expedition in for an oil change at the Ford Dealership. The service technician came into the waiting room and said he had something to show me. Great, what now. When he was rotating the tires he happened to see something sticking out of the exhaust, end of the muffler. He started pulling on it and it kept on coming. A black and gray silk like material. Every mechanic in the shop ended up over at the car looking at this, having not seen it before. They pulled enough out to fill a small garbage bag. Only thing they could think was some type of sound deaden material. I don't know how this car ran with this packed in the muffler and exhaust, they used pliers to pull it out. Strange

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don't have to do anything. Your car will run a bit louder now. If you've ever heard the term "Glass Pack" mufflers, thats the (fiber)glass packing.

Vroom vroom!

OP
OP
T

tater

Reaction score
That's the stuff, I was just surprised on how much they pulled out, it's a little louder but nothing annoying. Thanks!

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The mechanics at a dealership didn't know what that was?! Reconfirms my complete unwillingness to ever bring my car to a dealer for any work lol.

Not for nothing but I'd complain and make them pay for a new muffler. Wouldn't be noticeably louder if they didnt literally unwrap the guts of your exhaust system leaving you with essentially nothing but pipe now.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Tell the dealer to replace the muffler. File it under factory warranty, dealer incompetence, or emission warranty(8yr/80,000).

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The emissions warranty excludes all the muffler and pipes behind the converter's last oxygen sensor.
Sounds about right but I would claim factory defect from time of installation.
Call Ford customer service directly. Should have kept the bag full of material so "professional"exhaust shop could ID it and confirm that muffler is defective.

This pocket change to ford and a dealership.Shouldn't even be 200-300 bucks for them or they can pay a private shop to replace muffler but I would think they would just warranty the muffler or whatever rear assembly you need to bolt it on. Might be from right after converter back in a one or two piece.

One part and 30-45 mins labor to take care of a customer who has a defective muffler.

Should be a no brainer.