Stuck in park !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's nice of Lincoln. I'm sure you can rig something.
Yea, I found a used shiftlock solenoid on ebay for $30 and it's on the way. I am thinking about putting a little nut between the emergency unlock button and the inside of the top of the console to keep the button permanently pressed also. IDK where the "unserviceable" shiftlock solenoid is yet. The wrecking yard took it out so I wonder about it but I will find out when it gets here. I read where somebody went to 3 or 4 junk yards to buy the whole shifter but nobody had one so he paid hundreds for a used one on ebay.......ugh. Update; I just found out the expedition shiftlock solenoid is "unserviceable" also so you have to buy the whole shifter.

Last edited:

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
25 degrees.

must be nice.

And I laughed at the chevy comment.

OP, there's is always a way to fix stuff or modify it so it's no an issue. You should know this...with your years and years of mechanical repair history and in-depth knowledge of vehicular devices and all..

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
25 degrees.

must be nice.

And I laughed at the chevy comment.

OP, there's is always a way to fix stuff or modify it so it's no an issue. You should know this...with your years and years of mechanical repair history and in-depth knowledge of vehicular devices and all..
Yea, I'll get it fixed. What freaked me out was that nobody makes or sells the shiftlock solenoid which I think it is. Luckily somebody had 2 used ones on ebay for my Navigator so I bought both of them at $30 each and I can sell one or both when I sell the truck. Ford says they are unserviceable and don't sell them for the Expy. Luckily Dorman sells them at $85 for you guys........but not for the Navi.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be very close to the other end of that white button. Can you get a photo?
Yea, it's just a matter of popping the top of the console off. It's been snowing and I had to put winter wheels on today. Also it's working again today so I won't fix it until it actually quits since there is that emergency button if needed. You expy owners are lucky Dorman makes that part but it won't work on the Navi.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, it's just a matter of popping the top of the console off. It's been snowing and I had to put winter wheels on today. Also it's working again today so I won't fix it until it actually quits since there is that emergency button if needed. You expy owners are lucky Dorman makes that part but it won't work on the Navi.
WOW to bad oh well....

guess your gonna be selling the truck to bad no more Navi's in Mt. Shasta. Maybe you can be the only one in Mt. Shackta with a prius with the station wagon back. good luck with your ventures
Sorry, not sorry to see you go:wave:

mrbadwrench

Reaction score
Where is the solenoid located? Dorman sells them for the Expy but nobody sells them for a Navigator because Lincoln says it is unserviceable and you have to buy the whole shifter (which is discontinued). Luckily there is a white button in the rectangular hole on the console I can push on it with a screwdriver until I can fix it.
If you found the little white plastic washer that you move to unlock it, I think you have found the solenoid at the other end of the steel rod holding the washer. I have a column shift, and that's one unit. There should be a 3 wire cable going to it. One screw holds it in place on a column shift Expy.

I still urge you to replace the brake light switch first before taking your console apart. There are two circuits in that switch and only the one for the interlock failed on mine.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you found the little white plastic washer that you move to unlock it, I think you have found the solenoid at the other end of the steel rod holding the washer. I have a column shift, and that's one unit. There should be a 3 wire cable going to it. One screw holds it in place on a column shift Expy.

I still urge you to replace the brake light switch first before taking your console apart. There are two circuits in that switch and only the one for the interlock failed on mine.
It's just a matter of popping the top off the console and I'm sure it's visible then. My brake lights work fine and I bought a used solenoid from ebay and I doubt if it's hard to put in. Yesterday it all started working again and if you put your ear down by the console you can hear the solenoid clicking when you hit the brake so juice is getting past the brake switch. I guess it could be the switch going bad even though my brake lights are always working.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the explorers, sometimes soda or stuff will get spilled and it will gum up. What my point is....get you some of that electronics cleaner...the stuff they use for circuit boards and such, it's a spray, an aerosol can of stuff (NOT the PC duster shit, that's NOT it), and spray some on the rod and the interlock mechanism to see if it clears it up...