suspension issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy0811

Reaction score
I have a 98 Expy XLT it has air ride suspension and now the rear bags have blown out. Anyone know if it would be possible to just put in a conventional suspension system meaning leaf springs and gas shocks, or a coil over system and what would be the cheaper route to go? Thanks for any info.

OP
OP
J

Jeremy0811

Reaction score
Well I got my rear suspension fixed. Ended up going to pull a part and finding some coil springs and taking the air bags out. Had to replace the rear shocks too but it made a huge difference in the ride. On to the next project I guess.

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats what most people on here do. my brother is trying to get me to convert to airbags because we have a fried that owns an airbag company

OP
OP
J

Jeremy0811

Reaction score
In my experience the air bag is a great thing to have (when it is working properly) but when things go bad....not to good! it was the cheaper option for me to do at the time and to be honest i think it rides a little better with the springs and the new shocks i still have some other issues i need to work on like replacing the rest of the rusted parts on the rear end and i also need to figure out why i have a vibration during acceleration.

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have done the strutmasters swap before on my current 1997 Mark VIII, I still have the airbags and components as they are still in great condition. But I went to a junk yard one day and saw a Mark VIII in there and it had a brand new Strutmasters kit under it. SO for $90.00 I pulled it and took it home. I did the swap to do the comparison between the two.

Only thing I recommend doing when converting to a strutmaster setup is invest in thicker sway bars. As the air ride is more stable with lateral movement in conjunction with stock swaybars. But the stock swaybars do give way in feel with a strutmaster setup. Just my 2 cents worth.

FYI, I ended up keeping the strutmaster kit on my Mark VIII as I still have the car, it is my performance car with luxury. But I did upgrade my swaybars with aftermarket thicker Addco swaybars for the front and back. The only thing that I lost doing this that I do miss is the automatic lowering at highway cruising, but I will never get rid of my Mark VIII, it is in pretine condition with only 76k for miles.