Synch 3 Wifi update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
Just to confirm...you’ve tried updating via wi-fi and that gives you the same error message?

Hi. No, never attempted WiFi update since (I thought) I read in this thread (or another) vers 3.0 is a major update, and those must be done via the USB method. This was confirmed to me by the Ford "help" desk person, too.

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
Here is Acool's write up from the F-150 forums:
"Ok so it worked ... I think this is the definitive way to overcome the wretched and notorious

MEM_ERR03 issue.

I really do appreciate this detailed procedure list, but...

What are the chances I turn my currently-working (on vers 2.2) non-nav Sync3 into a dysfunctional brick if somehow I misstep halfway through the process? It could happen. I've got mad skills that way. :happy175:

...Karl

kekman

Reaction score
New Member- just purchased 2017 Pre-owned certified Limited to tow the boat and grandkids. Just want to say thanks to all on this email thread. When I got it home, I registered on Ford Owners- saw I needed an update from 2.0 to 2.3. Followed the web instructions. Nothing over 2 days w/USB update. Found this site and started reading- great info. Took all the tips; 2.0 USB drive, full format, load files on computer, unzip there and transfer over to USB drive, reset Sync to factory defaults, install- Done in 20 mins! Appreciate all the info- Thanks.
Now I will take a deep breath and install 3.0. Didn't even get to enjoy 2.3 for a week! Anyway, hope Waze works on it !

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New Member- just purchased 2017 Pre-owned certified Limited to tow the boat and grandkids. Just want to say thanks to all on this email thread. When I got it home, I registered on Ford Owners- saw I needed an update from 2.0 to 2.3. Followed the web instructions. Nothing over 2 days w/USB update. Found this site and started reading- great info. Took all the tips; 2.0 USB drive, full format, load files on computer, unzip there and transfer over to USB drive, reset Sync to factory defaults, install- Done in 20 mins! Appreciate all the info- Thanks.
Now I will take a deep breath and install 3.0. Didn't even get to enjoy 2.3 for a week! Anyway, hope Waze works on it !

Waze will not work yet, at least with Apple, because Waze has not released the update to support it.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Copied my iTunes library from my laptop to the USB. Picks up album art and you can browse/play by similar playlists, etc. I have about 9700 songs on there and just set it to shuffle and let it play. Whatever you name your USB drive is what appears on the head unit in the SOURCE list.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really do appreciate this detailed procedure list, but...

What are the chances I turn my currently-working (on vers 2.2) non-nav Sync3 into a dysfunctional brick if somehow I misstep halfway through the process? It could happen. I've got mad skills that way. :happy175:

...Karl

Always a possibility! Several people have done it successfully on Mustangs and 150’s that I have read. I checked out the scripting, and the coding looks solid! Give it a try.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did my update via USB today and it went well but I still have the same bugs when playing music from a USB stick. Drops the source a few times a day and reverts back to radio, about 30% of the time I try to advance to the next song there is a 20 second pause before it goes to the next song, stuff like that.

I assume you have tried more than one USB drive with your songs and both ports?

kekman

Reaction score
Thanks LokiWolf. I followed your messages closely- seems you are in the know on Sync. Appreciate all the advice- great stuff!

FYI- I have Android devices with the Waze app installed. I think I am going to give ver 3 a month before I try to download USB. Would like to see if it will download thru WIFI rather than USB. Car sits in garage 10 feet away from router on other side of wall. Interested on how long it will take- if at all. Have it turned on in settings- so we will see. Can't be a strength of signal issue. Time will tell.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks LokiWolf. I followed your messages closely- seems you are in the know on Sync. Appreciate all the advice- great stuff!

FYI- I have Android devices with the Waze app installed. I think I am going to give ver 3 a month before I try to download USB. Would like to see if it will download thru WIFI rather than USB. Car sits in garage 10 feet away from router on other side of wall. Interested on how long it will take- if at all. Have it turned on in settings- so we will see. Can't be a strength of signal issue. Time will tell.

You are VERY welcome. There are several of us on here who have gotten very good at all things Sync, also I am a Tech geek. It is what I do for a living. Modern cars have become a rolling network with many small computers. Just another network for me to hack.

I know of several people that have gotten v3 over WiFi. I have not had personal good luck with it. I have REALLY fast WiFi, with a Gig fiber WAN, and it has never worked on either our Edge or Expy.

When I look at the connection the Sync WiFi negotiates with my Router, or Access Point, it is slow. I know it is only 2.4Ghz, because it does not see my 5Ghz networks. Then I also never see it negotiate at faster than g(54) speeds. So 1.5GB over a 2.4/g connection could take a while!

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume you have tried more than one USB drive with your songs and both ports?

Loki - Yes - tried two different brands of USB and it does it with the iPod attached as well so I'm pretty sure it is an issue with Sync. No biggie. Thanks!