Tail gate wont open.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kojoff

Reaction score
Good evening ladies and gents!!
I have another head scratcher. Seems my 99 Expy has an issue with the tailgate not wanting to open. I figure the latch mechanism has broken, but only for the tailgate itself. The glass still opens. My newest question is... Is there a way to access the tailgate latch from the inside? If I could get the dang thing open, seems it would probably be a rather easy fix.

tvlunn

Reaction score
Yes, you can remove the tailgate plastic cover from the inside. You'll need to crawl back there from the inside. Once the cover is removed you can release the tailgate so that it goes up! I've repaired the broken cable and its not bad at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyL4xWT7Xts

tvlunn

Reaction score

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You probably will NOT need to replace the entire cable as the end is what breaks off. You will likely only need this part: This was used for my 1998 Expy, but I suspect the 99 is the same?!!?!!
Yes, same on my 1999 Exp liftgate and 2005 F150 rear doors. Never had a bad cable, just crumbled plastic on both ends. When installing, I make sure the slot in the end piece is rotated away from the opening it's being snapped into.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1