Temperature Wheel or Top Banner on CarPlay - Sync3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All-

Anyone else get kind of annoyed by not having visibility into the HVAC settings while using CarPlay?

I've seen posts on other forums (Focus forums I think) where someone was able to use ForScan to enable a temporary temperature wheel to appear over the CarPlay GUI when adjusting the temperature. I've hunted around for a possible setting for us to do this on Expys or F-Series...no such luck.

In a perfect world, the top bar which displays driver, passenger and outside temps would stay static at the top of the screen. Not sure if that can be done though.

Side Note: On the ForScan forum, a few people asked similar questions and it turned into a flame war between posters about how Apple controls this and sucks and Android is open source and therefore better, blah blah. Not looking to get into that here.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What year do you have?

On the 16/17’s I have been unsuccessful at finding it yet. My 16 Edge shows the wheel when I use the manual buttons so I can see the set temp. It also shows the set temp in the right MFD, and outside.

The right MFD option is not possible, as we don’t have the module that would have that coding. As for the wheel, I haven’t given up hope, but so far have not found the magic combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
G213

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year do you have?

On the 16/17’s I have been unsuccessful at finding it yet. My 16 Edge shows the wheel when I use the manual buttons so I can see the set temp. It also shows the set temp in the right MFD, and outside.

The right MFD option is not possible, as we don’t have the module that would have that coding. As for the wheel, I haven’t given up hope, but so far have not found the magic combo.

2016. Using latest version of Sync 3. I also did some trial and error for climate on the right MFD...no dice.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It isn't an Apple or Android or Open Source issue.

Things that have banners at the top like SiriusXM still show in CarPlay. Ford just doesn't do a banner at the top for Temperature.

If it is available in Android Auto it is because Android demands far more access to vehicle data than CarPlay.

CarPlay asks for if in drive or not, and in motion or not. Android Auto wants essentially all the car blackbox like data - RPM, Speed, etc. They may even ask for current environment settings. Toyota commented on it:
https://www.xda-developers.com/toyota-android-auto-privacy-concerns/

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It isn't an Apple or Android or Open Source issue.

Things that have banners at the top like SiriusXM still show in CarPlay. Ford just doesn't do a banner at the top for Temperature.

If it is available in Android Auto it is because Android demands far more access to vehicle data than CarPlay.

CarPlay asks for if in drive or not, and in motion or not. Android Auto wants essentially all the car blackbox like data - RPM, Speed, etc. They may even ask for current environment settings. Toyota commented on it:
https://www.xda-developers.com/toyota-android-auto-privacy-concerns/

Nope. Missed the point.

In other Ford vehicles in the 16/17 Year range, if you are in CarPlay or Android Auto and hit the manual Temperature buttons or knobs a super imposed temperature wheel comes up on the screen and lets you see the temp you are adjusting to. They also let the right MFD have a Climate option that you can do the same on.

In the 16/17 Sync 3 equipped Expeditions that doesn’t happen. We are using a very limited module set. My Edge has several additional modules, including an important pair in the particular programming, the DDM, and PDM. The PDM controls the right MFD in most Fords from those years. In ours, The BCM and other modules control it. The issue is, since there is no other vehicle that uses this unique set of modules, there is no roadmap to those settings to get these particular tweaks working. It is trial and error.

In my Trial and Error, the lines just don’t exist to get the right MFD to do Climate, but still hoping I can get the Temp wheel to pop up.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would depend on how Ford has done the Sync 3 and Dash displays for our vehicle. It isn't Android Auto vs. CarPlay.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That would depend on how Ford has done the Sync 3 and Dash displays for our vehicle. It isn't Android Auto vs. CarPlay.

Exactly, which is what the OP said. They said in the last place they posted it became a ******* match between the 2.

The place the lack of Pop Up is most noticeable is when you are in something like CarPlay or Android Auto....hence his post. He was hoping one of us others had figured out how to get it on the 16/17 Expy.

OP
OP
G213

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Way I see it, the SirusXM is like a module that runs within the Sync OS...which is why you still get the banner at the top with the time, temperature, etc. While CarPlay is a module as well, it somehow has rights within the Sync OS to display over the full screen.

Nope. Missed the point.
In other Ford vehicles in the 16/17 Year range, if you are in CarPlay or Android Auto and hit the manual Temperature buttons or knobs a super imposed temperature wheel comes up on the screen and lets you see the temp you are adjusting to. They also let the right MFD have a Climate option that you can do the same on.

Exactly.

We are using a very limited module set. My Edge has several additional modules, including an important pair in the particular programming, the DDM, and PDM. The PDM controls the right MFD in most Fords from those years. In ours, The BCM and other modules control it. The issue is, since there is no other vehicle that uses this unique set of modules, there is no roadmap to those settings to get these particular tweaks working. It is trial and error.

That's what I was wanting to know. The trial and error process is the tedious part. I wish there was some type of emulator we could run that would run the software in a virtualized environment so one wouldn't have to use the actual truck for testing.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's what I was wanting to know. The trial and error process is the tedious part. I wish there was some type of emulator we could run that would run the software in a virtualized environment so one wouldn't have to use the actual truck for testing.

That would be awesome! A VM for vehicle tuning!!

OP
OP
G213

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would be awesome! A VM for vehicle tuning!!

Theoretically...if we pulled modules out of a salvage truck.....like the BCM, DDM, MFD etc. you might be able to run them outside the truck on 12V power, connect them together and have a lab of sorts.