Terain management default

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious, like driving the new 2020 in sport mode, but every time I switch the truck off, when I restart it defaults back to normal mode. Is there a way to leave it in Sport mode all the time? I'm guessing not but wanted to ask; hell, I found out about the Auto Start Interrupter here. What a worth while mod!! What a total PITA the start stop thing is!! OMG I hate it!!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That vehicle was EPA tested in normal mode, so Uncle Sam insists that it restarts and defaults to normal EVERY time and that can not be over ridden. Even 5 Star tuning can not change that. Another thing forced down our throats.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
It's really one of my only major dislikes. It'd be really nice to have it stay in Sport mode if I wanted it to. At least it'll stay in 4A if you leave it there.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wish I lived somewhere where Sport mode was safe to use. LOL Top speed in my town is 35mph. And its 12 miles to a highway.

I’ve used it once during a road trip talk about angry over caffeinated Soccer mom mode lol. But fun non the less

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
I typically only use sport mode when getting on the highway or on curvy roads in heavy traffic. The rest of the time, I'm usually content to just chill back and cruise. I traded in a Mustang GT for this knowing full well I was giving up the zooms.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use sport mode when leaving the quick quack car wash. Helps me get across 6 lanes with wet and greasy (tire shine) tires without spinning out. There is no red light at this location and I have to go against traffic to get to the other side. It’s a kick in the pants for sure! Couldn’t imagine what a 5 Star Tune would do to this thing.

MonkeyBrains

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That vehicle was EPA tested in normal mode, so Uncle Sam insists that it restarts and defaults to normal EVERY time and that can not be over ridden. Even 5 Star tuning can not change that. Another thing forced down our throats.

Have to disagree. I have other vehicles from other manufacturers that allow driving modes, auto start/stop settings, etc.. to be selected and saved or remembered. Ford simply chooses to not do allow settings to be saved. Even in their small cars, everything defaults back to the same settings that can’t be changed. Like mirror tilt position on reverse, or locking power running boards in the out position. That last one about the running boards was something I could do on my 2012 Expy with power boards. Not on my 2018. Rather infuriating.

Leon Nett

Reaction score
Can the default setting be changed with Forscan?

Also, I know a lot of debate and differing views of tuning but I think ine benefit of tuning is having it feel like sport mode all the time, no more need for sport mode with a good tune IMO.

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have to disagree. I have other vehicles from other manufacturers that allow driving modes, auto start/stop settings, etc.. to be selected and saved or remembered. Ford simply chooses to not do allow settings to be saved. Even in their small cars, everything defaults back to the same settings that can’t be changed. Like mirror tilt position on reverse, or locking power running boards in the out position. That last one about the running boards was something I could do on my 2012 Expy with power boards. Not on my 2018. Rather infuriating.

According to 5 star tuning, that is wrong. Call 5 star tuning and ask them WHY they can't change this. Its EPA regulated now. However Ford tests and gets EPA certified is how the vehicle must default to.
So if they test and EPA certify in Sport, then it needs to default to sport. Normal is what people want, so they default to that because they certified under that. Its all big brother monitored....

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just wish they put a “sport button” Instead of searching for sport in the menu!