Thermo's new idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Contemplating doing a new mod for offroad lights. I am looking at doing all LED lights. What I have found is 900 lumen LEDs. Then to mount say 10 of them side by side to shine out in front of the truck. I figure that should put out a fair amount of light (would be like having 6 55W off-road lights lit up). As I play some more, I will keep people aware of what is going on. I also found some 100W LEDs (rated at 9,000 lumen each), but I would need a 12V to 36V converter to make those work. I am thinking something like 3 of those would be more than plenty for any night time driving. He he he he.

So, what you think. Not sure if I am going to mount them inside my Hella Black Magics or if I am going to get some cheap housings and play with them some. The options are kinda unlimited right now.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I am an electrical contractor and have recently began installing led recessed lighting. They put out impressive amount of light for the wattage. Even significantly more than cfl's. As they improve the light spectrum and reduce the cost I am sure they will replace both cfl's and incandescent. Less wattage. Last many years if not a lifetime. Practically instant on and dimmable.

Point is led's are the wave of the future. More light, less power.

Do it & post photos!!

OP
OP
Thermo

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
I just had a thought about how to do the lights that might be counter intuitive to most. What about "invisible" off-road lights. I'm sure most of you are wondering what I am getting at. I guess what I am somewhat envisioning is these pieces are only about 1" square (not counting the small tabs on the sides) for each 10W LED. The idea is you can put a few of them side by side, wire them up, encase them in a small clear acrylic mold such that you "float" the LEDs in the acrylic (ie, not cover up the LED face) and then you can paint the acrylic portion say black. From there, you could hide them in say the crack between the bumper and the headlights or between the fins of the grill. The light emitting portion of the LEDs is actually only about 3/4x3/4". So, you could have monster lighting and no one would know unless they looked closely for the small yellow squares on the front of your truck. Hmmmmmmmm.

Gotta hate having an active imagination. LMAO.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if anyone is going to be able to do it, it is going to be you haha. It sounds very interesting for sure. I was thinking the grille fins myself, put a block in all 4 corners and no one would ever know any different. Very cool idea

Last edited:

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you come up with a good way to do it. i would love a write up. would like to add some in the grill.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been thinking about something similar to your second idea. I want to mount some LEDs behind the grill for when I'm driving across the desert or going camping. You should do this so I can copy your idea.:D

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk