Throttle sticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have a '99 EB with the 5.4L and 60k miles. When starting off from idle, the accelerator pedal "sticks". Once you jab it a little, then its fine while driving. I traced the problem all the way to what must be a throttle damper inside the intake manifold. There is no binding/sticking of the control cable - it is apparently the damper inside the manifold that is sticking. Has anyone had a similar problem and/or what is required to fix? Its more annoying than anything else - I don't consider it a safety problem.

OP
OP
G

I had the same problem with my 99. I just left it alone and it has quit altogether now. Was real annoying though. Good luck. If you find a fix let us know.

OP
OP
G

I have heard this before on other lists and the fix was to remove the throttle body and clean the carbon buildup off the inside. I have seen guys with 2000 trucks already having problems with buildup.

Pat 00 XLT

OP
OP
G

Mine started sticking after the throttle body was cleaned. Don't make sense. But it works ok now has not stuck in over 2 months.

OP
OP
G

Maybe after the cleaned it out they never lubed it up. I would think it needs something to keep it from sticking.

OP
OP
G

Yeah it was lubbed. Just grimlins in the machine. Had real bad piston slap at one time about 54k miles. Took it into Ford and they recomended replacing the motor. Since it was still on warranty I said go for it. When the warranty guy showed up they could not reproduce the sound, so no engine. Has not done it since and I have 117K now.

66horse

Reaction score
Anybody got a fix for this throttle sticing issue besides it jsut quit? Mine does it too. Only at first, once going, I can come to a stop and it dowsnt do it again till next time I getin the car.

thanks,
Steve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT