Help Needed On 2017 Limited P2112 No Throttle On The Side Of The Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assistance Requested On The Following Problem Arising Today.

2017 Expedition Limited. 46,000 miles with no current issues or problems; until today!

Although we have had battery management and TBC grounding issues in the past, which the problems and resolutions were well documented by past posts (hope they helped some), this issue is brand new and very much out of left field, so some assistance is much appreciated from the group.

The vehicle has been running well and has been used on a daily basis since early May (stored for the winter).

Today in the Northeast, is a beautiful 75 degree sunny day. We took a ride to pick up some things, 45 min highway up half hour engine off and 45 minute back.

We then headed out to lunch on local roads. 5 minutes into the trip, the engine went COMPLETELY LIMP, no throttle interaction at all. Moved to the side of the road, still no throttle and message “SEE OWNERS MANUAL” WTF!

No errors other than wrench symbol. Shut engine down, waited 2 minutes. Restarted with no issues. Drove the rest of the way to restaurant without issue.

About 1 hour at lunch, back in truck, started fine, I was attuned to pedal movement / throttle reaction and it seemed slightly delayed or rough. Then 3 minutes into drive, same situation, complete limp, no throttle reaction to pedal movement. Side of the road again. Idle rough. Shut off, wait 2 minutes, restart fine and made it home with less than smooth throttle reactions but no limp.

In the garage now. Looking for advice before I need to bring it to the dealer. It is under premium extended warranty, but not looking forward to a 2 week wait to look at it and 2 more weeks for repair.

Screenshot_20230803-164005.jpegScreenshot_20230803-164023.jpegScreenshot_20230803-164033.jpegScreenshot_20230803-164043.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230803-164059.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230803-164059.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d bet your electronic throttle control (ETC) (throttle body assembly) is defective.

When you stop and turn off the engine, it resets.

Here is a 9-minute video on how to replace it and some symptoms: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4CX8sNUns

I know you said you have an extended service contract, to a dealer may repair it.

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d bet your electronic throttle control (ETC) (throttle body assembly) is defective.

When you stop and turn off the engine, it resets.

Here is a 9-minute video on how to replace it and some symptoms: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4CX8sNUns

I know you said you have an extended service contract, to a dealer may repair it.
Thanks for your quick response. Ive been reading some other documents and they all point to your conclusion. I looked up the TB on Tasca Parts and it looks like $120. Im wondering if I should just buy and install myself to avoid the dealership time and pain factor - crazy world we are in that spending money and doing it yourself for something you are entitled to, to avoid vender / dealer inflicted pain.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. Ive been reading some other documents and they all point to your conclusion. I looked up the TB on Tasca Parts and it looks like $120. Im wondering if I should just buy and install myself to avoid the dealership time and pain factor - crazy world we are in that spending money and doing it yourself for something you are entitled to, to avoid vender / dealer inflicted pain.

I still have the Ford Premium Extended Service Plan - and I’ve considered buying a new throttle body and carrying the necessary tools to change it when I travel. Your post will help me decide.

Best wishes and good luck.

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can tell you that I now recognize the warning signs of failure - unfortunately in retrospect. Over the last 2 weeks or so, there was an ever so slight (almost un perceptible) engine stumble from time to time.

I can also tell you that when P2112 happens, you Instantly have 0 throttle, which, depending on where you are at that moment, a very dangerous situation.

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some good news, our local dealer, Park Ford of Mahopac, told me they were pretty backed up, but bring it in ASAP and if they had any open tech time they would look at it.

I had it there in an hour with the diagnostic report pretty much showing the failure / solution, but it did crap out 2X leaving me on the side of the road during the 10 mile trip there.

They called me 6 hours later telling me they were able to confirm our diagnosis and source the throttle body from another local dealer, got it installed and all is well.

So for all the bad news and outcomes we have all had to endure, one good outcome.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I kinda recall Ford had a TSB on this. So chances are they were covering their butts. Also check your battery age if its 5+ yrs replace it ASAP as I recall some of these issue are well known to be caused by a weak/dying battery.

OP
OP
GlennSullivan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I kinda recall Ford had a TSB on this. So chances are they were covering their butts. Also check your battery age if its 5+ yrs replace it ASAP as I recall some of these issue are well known to be caused by a weak/dying battery.
I replaced the battery less than 2 years ago because it was leaking at the positive battery terminal and destroyed the cable terminal. A complete C/F. If you want some interesting reading:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani