Ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Weston Gee

Reaction score
I have a 2018 with around 37k miles. I just got the cam phaser replacement done about 3 weeks ago. I have since noticed a “ticking” noise when I cold start. This may of been there all along and maybe I couldn’t hear it due to the cam phasers. The ticking last 20-30 seconds usually and once it warms up it goes away. No engine codes or anything. Any ideas?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2018 with around 37k miles. I just got the cam phaser replacement done about 3 weeks ago. I have since noticed a “ticking” noise when I cold start. This may of been there all along and maybe I couldn’t hear it due to the cam phasers. The ticking last 20-30 seconds usually and once it warms up it goes away. No engine codes or anything. Any ideas?
Is it a ticking or a rattle? If it's more akin to a rattle, it could be your turbo wastegate. A lot (most?) of these motors end up with a rattling wastegate at some point (mine has had it since about 20k miles). Ford knows about it, but it doesn't throw codes and (according to Ford) doesn't affect performance, so they wont fix it under warranty. Some on here have had luck getting Ford to address it, but those cases seem to be the exception not the rule.

If it is more of a ticking...I have no idea.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I second what @aggiegrad05 is saying.

If it is the wastegate rattle it's annoying but not harmful. If it's ticking from engine I would get it looked at. There are some audio clips around of wastegate rattle to compare what you are hearing.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i also have an intermittent ticking noise about a month after post cam phaser surgery - was definitely not there before. is definitely not the turbos IMO. here’s a video -
does it sound like this? hasn’t done it for weeks - came back again once but not since. so can’t reproduce consistently yet.

OP
OP
W

Weston Gee

Reaction score
Yea I’d have to say it sounds pretty close. Never noticed it before. A buddy went to get in the other day and pointed it out. He has a 2018 F-150 with the 3.5. He said he had his phasers replaced and ultimately they replaced a solenoid or something. He was losing power and getting a check engine light afterwards. I’ve got an appointment next week to hopefully get to the bottom of it.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine isn’t doing it consistently enough for official diagnosis. only done it on 2 days out of the last month.

once you take it in, let us know what they say....

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
80,000 dollar cars and they sound like a Kia with a heat shield rattle, this is completely unacceptable.

I'm going to Ford soon for this issue as well as the loud ticking on startup. This is absolute garbage and the responses from Ford dealers aren't going to work on me.

I'm not holding the gas pedal to the floor and cranking it either to give oil pressure to the engine because some engineers couldn't properly design the engine to get oil to the critical components in enough time.

Team_Z

Reaction score
Depending on the ticking sound it’s more than likely the High pressure from our DI injectors. All DI (DirectInjection) engines make this ticking sound. Anyone got a video?