Ticking sound from engine and funny smell in cabin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cryogenx

Reaction score
So i have a constant ticking sound, sounds like a valve ticking i think...

also have a funny smell in cabin, wife keeps saying she smells oil, i think it smell like one of the neighborhood stray cats peed on the outside air intake.

also have a squeak when the A/C compressor kicks on. just replaced the serp. belt and all the idlers/tensioner still doing it...

HALP!!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Check for loose spark plug immediately before you drive it anymore!!!!!!

May be about to eject a spark plug if its a 2v motor.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
What year expy?

Disregard above post if its 2004 or later.

It could be exhaust manifold leak due to rusted off exhaust manifold studs. Another common issue with 3v motors I believe is cam phasers but not that familiar with the 3v motors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cryogenx

Reaction score
It's an 06 eb just got it about a 3 weeks ago

Also it's a 3 Valve

Last edited:

Reginald

Reaction score
Had a tick, on 2006 5.4 3v and the tick turned out to be a spark plug on pass side. Replaced all plugs and the ticking stopped. Thought it was cam phaser, just a loose plug.

OP
OP
C

cryogenx

Reaction score
Had a tick, on 2006 5.4 3v and the tick turned out to be a spark plug on pass side. Replaced all plugs and the ticking stopped. Thought it was cam phaser, just a loose plug.

Im scared to do the plugs with all the breaking issues.. the tick is annoying...

whats more annoying however is the belt chirp everytime the AC compressor kicks in.. any ideas on that one....

buildingdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could have a AC compressor going bad on you. With the engine off I would grab the front of the compressor (clutch hub) and see if you can turn it easily by hand. there should be some resistance from the internal pistons and valves but if you need a tool for leverage to turn it, you may want to replace it and the drier before it comes apart and destroys the system. another thing is to look between the clutch hub and the pulley surfaces and look for a blue discoloring. this is another indication that your clutch surface is burning up and that the internals are failing.

Also might be worth the check out fee to take it to a shop that specializes in AC and have them check the system.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69