Burning oil smell in cabin from vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Hey All. I have a 2017 2wd limited with 3.5L ecoboost engine. And every time I drive recently, I've noticed an intermittent oil burning smell in the cabin. It's not strong, and there is no smoke that I can see. I haven't had any recent oil changes, so I dont think this is a case of spilt oil burning on a manifold. It seems like it is happening after I have pushed the engine a little and have used the turbos. But it happens when I am just driving normally on the freeway too. It doesn't smell like just burning oil too. It smells kind of "skunky" if that makes sense. I'm wondering if it is oil burning off in the turbos? Anyone have any suggestions?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey All. I have a 2017 2wd limited with 3.5L ecoboost engine. And every time I drive recently, I've noticed an intermittent oil burning smell in the cabin. It's not strong, and there is no smoke that I can see. I haven't had any recent oil changes, so I dont think this is a case of spilt oil burning on a manifold. It seems like it is happening after I have pushed the engine a little and have used the turbos. But it happens when I am just driving normally on the freeway too. It doesn't smell like just burning oil too. It smells kind of "skunky" if that makes sense. I'm wondering if it is oil burning off in the turbos? Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new.

A month or more ago at 101,*** miles, I noticed the same smell. I was not pushing the engine, towing, or "flooring it". I did not see any smoke.

When I checked the fluids, I noticed the coolant level had dropped about 2 inches in one week.

Off to the Ford dealer for more repairs. The coolant leak was a result of the left turbo cooling line leaking.

The oil smell was a result of the engine vacuum pump leaking oil from a fitting. The pump is mounted on the rear right (passenger) side of the engine, just below the cowl.

Both leaks were fixed under my Ford Premium Extended Service Plan. The list price for the vacuum pump was about $360 + $10 fitting + labor.

The vacuum pump is hard to see, as it is hidden away. Perhaps from underneath, you could see if the fitting was leaking? It is attached to the engine with several bolts. The service technician said the fumes from the leaking oil were being drawn into the HVAC air inlet grille on the cowl, when the HVAC system was not set to interior recirculation, but in operation.