Tint Color for 97 Expedition XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlock77559

Reaction score
Hi Folks....New to the forum.

I'm trying to match my front windows to the rear window tint of my 97 Ford Expedition.

I've asked around at several tint shops in my area and I've done many searches online and none have any specs on the exact color of the rear windows. I've even RTFF to see what I could find here (there has been discussion on percentage match, but not color).

My question to the board is: Has anyone had any luck with any specific aftermarket brand/color? If not one specific color, any particular color combination (i.e., bronze & mirror, bronze & chrome)? What percentage(s) did you use (20/35%)?

thx,
-dl

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running 20% tint and to me its a very close match dont know color Id call it traditional window tint in 20%

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used black magic 20% premium... Almost 100% match in my opinion... The fronts look slightly lighter prob cause the light coming in from the windshield..... There are 2 versions of black magic tints, the regular one and the premium. The premium sticks better, or at least i was told that... Lol

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All of the above posters seem to have forgotten that the 97 and 98 trucks had a bronze/mirror privacy glass on the rear windows.

The 99 and newer trucks had black privacy glass, so traditional black window tint would match. However, 97 and 98s need something much different.

Honestly, I have never seen front windows tinted to match the rears perfectly on the 97 and 98s.

Your best bet would be to spend some time with some different tint shops to get input on their recommendations. Often times, the shops have displays of glass tinted with their different films so you can see what would match best, too. Also, I think Chevy Tahoes and Lexus RXs of this time period have similar tints, so maybe you can ask those owners, too.

Also, as far as the percentage goes, 20% is closer to the factory tinting than the 35%. However, 20% is a bit darker than factory. From the outside, the difference is hardly noticeable, but from the inside it is more noticeable. I would guess using 25% or maybe even 30% is closer-but it is unlikely you will find these percentages. Also, the front windows are already solar tinted, so you are really starting with a window that is already 90% or 95% or so.

I hope this helps some!

SWADE23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
all of the above posters seem to have forgotten that the 97 and 98 trucks had a bronze/mirror privacy glass on the rear windows.

The 99 and newer trucks had black privacy glass, so traditional black window tint would match. However, 97 and 98s need something much different.

honestly, i have never seen front windows tinted to match the rears perfectly on the 97 and 98s.

Your best bet would be to spend some time with some different tint shops to get input on their recommendations. Often times, the shops have displays of glass tinted with their different films so you can see what would match best, too. Also, i think chevy tahoes and lexus rxs of this time period have similar tints, so maybe you can ask those owners, too.

Also, as far as the percentage goes, 20% is closer to the factory tinting than the 35%. However, 20% is a bit darker than factory. From the outside, the difference is hardly noticeable, but from the inside it is more noticeable. I would guess using 25% or maybe even 30% is closer-but it is unlikely you will find these percentages. Also, the front windows are already solar tinted, so you are really starting with a window that is already 90% or 95% or so.

I hope this helps some!

woops my bad....

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had no idea 97/98 came with mirror privacy glass, I have never seen that and I always check out expeditions when they drive by. Now I am going to have to watch a lot closer.

lakesidebluexpy

Reaction score
the '97/'98 "mirror" privacy glass on rear windows is particularly noticable on the eddie bauer models..... in some light/lighting conditions you can't see inside except through the windshield or driver/passenger front door glass.

lakeside

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev