Tinting an expedition with privacy glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
what a crock! as if the curvature of the roof panels is MORE than the windshield (front cockpit doors) SMDH! Ive NEVER heard of windshields cracking from HEAT (that seems nutty).

The pano-roof on or Expy is easier to tint than it was on our '17 super duty....the super duty pano-roof had silkscreened dots on the interior side...where the expy is smooth glass.

I thought I paid a lot ($600) for tinting on our MAX....800 seems excessive
I had ceramic film, 5% on everything behind the front cockpit & 15% on the pano-roof, eyebrow & front doors.
Perhaps I didn't phrase that right. He said the tint on the sunroof could increase its possibility of breaking, not from heat, from something hitting it (hail, perhaps? ). He did a great job on everything, I'm happy with it, reduced the heat incredibly just driving home with the sunroof screen open.

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
I’ve lived in Phoenix. Never had any issues with windshields cracking.
I've had windshields replaced on almost every Ford I've had (and others before that) which is 6 in the last 15 years! My '13 Edge went through 3 in 3 years. It's always been from heat, a small crack appears and very quickly spreads. Had a Toyota decades ago, drove through an underpass in summer and a giant split went from top to bottom in milliseconds. I'm not alone, know many people who've had them replaced on various makes.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ive seen CRACKS in windshields increase in size from expansion/contraction (temp changes) and vibration - but their origination was from being hit by debris. This year I replaced a windshield in everything we own (Miata, Jeep, F350 & Freightliner)....imo todays windshield glass is sub par, ultra thin / light weight and PRONE to cracking.

I fail to see how a plastic coating (which is flexible even when applied to glass) would INCREASE the chance of cracking from HAIL hitting it on the outside! Find another tint shop!

FormerGermanFan

Reaction score
I would have to agree with @bushpilot! I owned a Land Rover which had a clear film installed from the dealer on it, thought I got scammed. Let me tell you, that $600 clear film has been hit with all sorts of road debris (mostly rocks). Not only did that vehicle's windshield look much better than the bumper by the time I traded it in, I hadn't spotted a single crack let alone chip in it!

Couldn't hurt to at least get a second opinion on your tint.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Windshield on our 12 Camry cracked across a corner one day while we were at a show. Came back in the parking garage and was shocked.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have to agree with @bushpilot! I owned a Land Rover which had a clear film installed from the dealer on it, thought I got scammed. Let me tell you, that $600 clear film has been hit with all sorts of road debris (mostly rocks). Not only did that vehicle's windshield look much better than the bumper by the time I traded it in, I hadn't spotted a single crack let alone chip in it!

Couldn't hurt to at least get a second opinion on your tint.

got to watch that exterior film - its supposed to be changed out every 6 months (per the mfg) - it sounds ridiculous (from a life expectancy). Around here we can buy an after market windshield for less than 200 (installed)....and lots of insurance policies include replacement w/ $0 deductible.

Michael D Morris

Reaction score
I'm considering 3M Ceramic-IR on my 2019 Expy Max. #% on front windows, 70% on rear, sides, and back. 70 on the windshield. This is compliant with Florida regulations.

Does anyone have 3M Ceramic-IR on their vehicle? What do you like or not like about it? Any low angle haze?

What is a good price to have this installed all the way around including the windshield in the Tampa Bay area?

1alembic

Reaction score
Michael - I ju
I'm considering 3M Ceramic-IR on my 2019 Expy Max. #% on front windows, 70% on rear, sides, and back. 70 on the windshield. This is compliant with Florida regulations.

Does anyone have 3M Ceramic-IR on their vehicle? What do you like or not like about it? Any low angle haze?

What is a good price to have this installed all the way around including the windshield in the Tampa Bay area?

Michael - I just sent you a PM regarding what I have done.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello. Our expediting came with privacy glass in the back windows. Is there tint already on the factory windows that needs to be removed? Or can they just tint on top of the way it is.
I had factory tint on my 16. Went with 5% on everything minus the front two windows which got 55%. Legal limit in VA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imjuststeven