Tire rotation at dealership ends up with scratches on the rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tater

Reaction score
So I dropped my Expedition off at the dealership for "The Works", oil change, tire rotation, etc. When I got home I cleaned it up and noticed 3 out of 4 of the rims have these scratches between the lug nuts. These were certainly not there prior to the rotation. Just wondering what they used that would have caused that scratch pattern on the wheels. I'll be calling later today but I'm sure they are gonna try and blow it off. This dealership has serviced this car since new, hopefully they'll own up.
100_9043.JPG

Attachments

• 100_9044.JPG
    100_9044.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 5

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I dropped my Expedition off at the dealership for "The Works", oil change, tire rotation, etc. When I got home I cleaned it up and noticed 3 out of 4 of the rims have these scratches between the lug nuts. These were certainly not there prior to the rotation. Just wondering what they used that would have caused that scratch pattern on the wheels. I'll be calling later today but I'm sure they are gonna try and blow it off. This dealership has serviced this car since new, hopefully they'll own up.
View attachment 80018

The employee may have “dropped” the wheel from its mounting location on the vehicle, allowing the tire to bounce and then it fell flat on the concrete floor (outside facing portion of wheel), scratching the face of the wheel.

Or - the circular scratches may have been caused by car wash damage?

The center cap has wear marks too. I have a 2015 Expedition Limited, purchased new, and the center caps still look new.

Reaction score
THiNK SaMSoNiTe GoRiLLaS ! NoT eXaCTLy STYLiSH

HaViNG a CoNTiNGeNT oF KNuCKLe - DRaGGeRs iN

oNe'S MoDeRN SeRViCe DePT => LooKs To Me LiKe

iNCoRReCT uSe oF a WHeeL DoLLy - ReMeDy FoR

THiS iS HaNGiNG ARouND W/ ouT aNTaGoNiZiNG

THeM I WoRKeD My WaY THRouGH SCHooL [ auto

sales ] uSe YouR STReNGTHs [ aCTiNG SKiLLs ]

MeCHaNiCs - PaRTs PeePs eTC aRe PeoPLe Too !

DeeP DoWN = a ReSPeCT iSSue ~ YeT iT PaYs ! ]

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
THiNK SaMSoNiTe GoRiLLaS ! NoT eXaCTLy STYLiSH

HaViNG a CoNTiNGeNT oF KNuCKLe - DRaGGeRs iN

oNe'S MoDeRN SeRViCe DePT => LooKs To Me LiKe

iNCoRReCT uSe oF a WHeeL DoLLy - ReMeDy FoR

THiS iS HaNGiNG ARouND W/ ouT aNTaGoNiZiNG

THeM I WoRKeD My WaY THRouGH SCHooL [ auto

sales ] uSe YouR STReNGTHs [ aCTiNG SKiLLs ]

MeCHaNiCs - PaRTs PeePs eTC aRe PeoPLe Too !

DeeP DoWN = a ReSPeCT iSSue ~ YeT iT PaYs ! ]
Uhhh, wut?

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It appears they balanced the tires and when doing so the wheel is clamped into the machine on a tapered mandrel and a huge wing nut is tightened onto the center rim. That is likely what caused the scratches. 1706916919636.png

Moeman

Reaction score
Some things you just learn the hard way. I got my first damaged wheel back around 2000. Ever since, whenever I have any tire/wheel work, I take pictures of every wheel, when I drop the car off I inform them that I have pictures, I ask if they'd like to come look at the wheels and confirm they're perfect. I've had it happen a few times since, and they cover it without complaint. Worst was some gouges on 2 of 4 Volvo wheels from the mounting head. They sent all four to be refinished and looked brand new after.

Tiger Bob

Reaction score
Always take close-up pictures right before your appointment, make sure they are time-stamped, and notify the dealer going in that you have pictures of the "before" rotation for evidence. Also, I have installed some black rim protectors that look pretty sharp to help prevent curb rash, which are prone to happen with me at the wheel.