Too heavy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krambone

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Exp EL Limited with the heavy duty tow package so the tow rating is 8700lbs. I am currently towing a travel trailer that is about 6000 loaded. I have no problem pulling that but I am looking into a TT that weighs 7250 empty so figure close to 8000 loaded. I use an "Equalizer" weight dist & sway control hitch. We probably go camping 5-6 times a year and we don't plan on going in the mountains. Is this too much camper? Would a cold air intake make any difference?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have the proper setup to make it work.
I would obviously get the whole rig on the scales to make sure that the total weight is within the limits. (or at least close)

Whenever towing, I always suggest that an eye is kept on the temp gauge.
Cooling is the big limitation.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome.
+1 on Gross combination weight (truck & trailer + load).
If you have the HD package, you should be fine.
Tow/haul mode, or OverDrive on/off is important as i'm sure you discovered w/ your other TT?

I added a larger displacement trans pan (MagHytec) after driving cross country (MD to CA) through the brutual desert-areas. It now holds 8 addn'l quarts, plus a trans temp gauge to monitor the fluid temp @ the cooler.

Some pics here: http://www.expeditionforum.com/members/43969-albums199.html

Show us your ride.

Thanks,
PanHandler.

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Dry Weight is fictional and (in a camper) represents the weight before any factory options went on like the air conditioner, awning, spare tire and carrier, etc.

Because these options are seldom omitted from these trailers the only purpose of Dry Weight is to make the trailer appear 350 pounds lighter than it is. Dry Weight is used by camper salesmen to sell you a trailer too heavy for your Expedition to tow.

UVW is listed on the data sticker inside under the sink of a camper and is the "curb" weight before the dealer adds anything to the trailer.

Maxium towing capacity is just that and is computed with only a 150 pound driver in the vehicle. It drops pound for pound with any load carried in the vehicle. A 6000 pound max-rated Expedition with 4 passengers and a full cargo load can easily have 1000 extra pounds on board, reducing the towing capacity to 5000 pounds.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the GWR of the TT you are looking at. The other thing to look at it he tongue weight of the TT.

OP
OP
K

Krambone

Reaction score
The gwr is 8600 and hitch weight is 860. The actual weight of the one in looking at is 7250 including the options.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Would a cold air intake make any difference?
Not in towing capacity.There is nothing you can do to the SUV to increase the numbers of GVWR or GCVWR(besides the equlizer hitch that brings it to 8700)that is printed on the drivers door.IMHO the trailer is to heavy for the SUV loaded with the people and gear. I was in the same boat as you. so i talked to my insurance company. Long story short if you exceed the capacity of the Expedition(mine) we might not cover your claim/accident

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One more thing to remember. Illinois' towing and plating requirements are kinda quirky. make sure that your truck is plated correctly for your trailer plating. The ISP is looking for any reason these days to be grouchy and drop a ticket on you.

They have been hammering some of the locals on overweight on registration violations here.