Top speed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious how fast people have gone in the 4th Gen's? I took a detour through Mexico on my way to work this morning and was able to easily achieve an indicated 120 mph on a nice straight stretch of highway. I have the 5 star tune, so I'm pretty sure they have removed any speed limiters with the ECU re-flash. It felt like it was still pulling at 120, but the analog and digital speedometers both pegged at 120. My Michelin Defender LTX M/S are T rated (118 mph), so wasn't too worried about tires, and obviously not planning any sustained runs at that speed. Just nice to know it's available if needed. Any idea what the stock speed limiter is set at?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just curious how fast people have gone in the 4th Gen's? I took a detour through Mexico on my way to work this morning and was able to easily achieve an indicated 120 mph on a nice straight stretch of highway. I have the 5 star tune, so I'm pretty sure they have removed any speed limiters with the ECU re-flash. It felt like it was still pulling at 120, but the analog and digital speedometers both pegged at 120. My Michelin Defender LTX M/S are T rated (118 mph), so wasn't too worried about tires, and obviously not planning any sustained runs at that speed. Just nice to know it's available if needed. Any idea what the stock speed limiter is set at?

If they are like the f150s it’s 118-120, and yes with the tune I believe they modified the speed limiter. Also I think the My Key feature allows you to set the top speed (maybe) in case you have a young one driving. I personally have never done over 100 in my 2016 (also tuned by 5 star, 93 perf v7.6) as I have 35s and want to keep them on my wheels lol

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best i could do from memory was 118...feels amazing for somethin this big though.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2007 stops at 105 MPH and it just quits revving, must be governed. Never plan on taking it that high again anyway, just tested it one light morning.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best i could do from memory was 118...feels amazing for somethin this big though.
I think the sheer size of the truck coupled with the suspension on these things really makes it seem pretty stable at higher speeds (above 75)

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been 120 ,very stable and sure footed but I wouldn't want to make an emergency lane change at that speed. 5star does raise the speed limiter but I don't know what the factory sets it at. I thought it was about 103-105.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am trying to remember where my limiter topped me out. It was 104 in my F150, but I think it's closer to 112 in the Expi.

I have never been a fan of removing top speed limiters (the cool kids called it "chipping" your car when I was in high school). The people who designed that vehicle thought that was as fast as it should go...who am I to question them?

But (before folks jump all over me) I am in no way saying anything against those who remove theirs, I am just editorializing.

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder what the stopping distance is at 120mph on OEM brakes? No thanks!

Plati

Reaction score
I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'm kinda curious the age of those testing how fast they can go in their Expy. I did stuff like that in my younger days. Not these days for sure! I got the Beast up to 90 (passing someone) in Montana and it didn't even break a sweat.

I never thought I would live past 30 anyway back then ….