towing performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdjeterva

Reaction score
Realistically you are over weight on the tow limit (the published tow weight is 5000lbs and practically nobody tows a camper at dry weight, you also have to consider how much stuff you have loaded in the Expy for GWV), I'm towing a 22' Salem with a equalizer hitch right at 4500lbs dry. I take mine to Winchester VA, right at the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway, it's fine on flat ground and I can tow in OD there, but as soon as I get in the mountains it struggles in a couple of places. The BRP is a transmission killer, be sure you have adequate cooling or your temps will jump over 200 in the trans. I have a 2005 XLT with the 5.4 and towing package with an additional trans cooler, don't skimp on the trans cooler if you are going in the mountains, especially in the summer. Mileage will drop to about 9 or 10 and there's not much you can do about it.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. There are steps you can take to help the 4.6, but realistically unless it involves hardware from Weiland or Whipple you won't see much improvement with those weights.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jim Fiers

Jim Fiers

Reaction score
So I just went on a camping trip to Georgia, did the fuel estimator and that was way off. My mpg that the truck said I was getting was 8 mpg on the way up 10 mpg on the way back. The fuel cost was supposed to be around $245, the actual price $486 to drive round trip 1089 miles. That's basically 5 mpg lol a different truck is in the picture before I take another long trip...

OP
OP
Jim Fiers

Jim Fiers

Reaction score
Ok So I have to self confess. I read my online statement wrong and miscalculated fuel volume. The consumption was not as bad as I thought and I was actually getting roughly 9.5 mpg which I can live with. Thanks for the input and although the mpg is better I believe I would be better suited with a larger truck.

Side note I passed an F650 today towing a bass boat, HF is that thing huge.