Towing with Factory air suspension vs Coilover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mkc1962

Reaction score
It seems to me that most (seen here at forum) that have their factory air suspension fail, usually change over to coilover shocks. Considering the cost of maintaining the OEM its kind of hard to dispute the change. I myself am in the process of experiencing problems with my OEM air system and will soon have to make a decision.

My question here is. Can anyone that tows on a regular, that has also done a suspension change over, comment on the pro's vs cons where towing is concerned?

I would prefer to hear from any that tow a serious load (large boat,car hauler,travel trailer etc) not those that only hookup an occasional 4x8 cargo trailer.

I have no doubt the load leveling feature of the air system is a great feature to keep.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems to me that most (seen here at forum) that have their factory air suspension fail, usually change over to coilover shocks. Considering the cost of maintaining the OEM its kind of hard to dispute the change. I myself am in the process of experiencing problems with my OEM air system and will soon have to make a decision.

My question here is. Can anyone that tows on a regular, that has also done a suspension change over, comment on the pro's vs cons where towing is concerned?

I would prefer to hear from any that tow a serious load (large boat,car hauler,travel trailer etc) not those that only hookup an occasional 4x8 cargo trailer.

I have no doubt the load leveling feature of the air system is a great feature to keep.

I've used my truck to tow a lot of stuff, and never had a problem with not having air-ride. As far as I can tell, air ride is just more effective at keeping the rear end from squatting and therefore lessening the chance of bottoming on hard bumps at speed. Never had that happen though. Focus on keeping the trans cool and making sure the tongue weight is 10% of the total trailer weight. I have never heard of someone regretting making the conversion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
Fordandpolaris

thanks for the feedback. About what I was expecting and hoping to hear. Will be doing it after the first of the year.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still have the OEM setup. Have replaced both rear bags, compressor & dryer (purchased the package from Arnott direct) as well as the front air shocks twice since purchase, as well as the rear shocks too (three times since purchase.) *Edit: replaced the compressor/dryer and rear air bags @ year 14 (149K miles).

Towing a 28' enclosed car trailer packed to the max, roughly 15K CGVW. I did some other perf. upgrades, and oversized trans pan ( 8 more qts.). Keeping ahead of both regular and preventive maintenance are the key IMHO.

I considered the change over myself, but it was easy enough to effect the repairs and stay on the road.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

PanHandler.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
panhandler,

If you dont mind me asking. What was wrong with your system that prompted replacing the bags/shocks?

my problem is the compressor runs, but for some reason or another the air wont go into any of the bags but half of the time. Even when fenders are near on the tires no rise. If I had to guess its a ride height sensor issue. Compressor pumps fine and air gets to solenoids fine, but sols dont open to allow air into the bags. Find it hard to beieve that all 4 solenoids are bad. Have not had the opportunity to take voltage readings at solenoids when compressor is running. Considering that even just 1 height sensor is at around $300 (I have 3) doing a change over makes more financial sense to me.

like you, I feel that proactive pm is the key to the survival and long lived performance of anything I own.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problems like this is why we replace them...its more headache to figure out what's wrong and replace it...if u aren't handy with fixing it urself then its highly encouraged and advised to do the conversion...mine kept airing up all the time and the compressor was LOUD...did the conversion and now I just worry about shocks...my ride is still good with 26 inch rims

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
panhandler,

If you dont mind me asking. What was wrong with your system that prompted replacing the bags/shocks?

my problem is the compressor runs, but for some reason or another the air wont go into any of the bags but half of the time. Even when fenders are near on the tires no rise. If I had to guess its a ride height sensor issue. Compressor pumps fine and air gets to solenoids fine, but sols dont open to allow air into the bags. Find it hard to beieve that all 4 solenoids are bad. Have not had the opportunity to take voltage readings at solenoids when compressor is running. Considering that even just 1 height sensor is at around $300 (I have 3) doing a change over makes more financial sense to me.

like you, I feel that proactive pm is the key to the survival and long lived performance of anything I own.

Mike,

The drivers' side rear began to sag real bag beyond the normal 180# of fuel on the system since the tank is on that side. Got to be a nuisance and was preparing to do it anyway as the check suspension light kept coming on indicating something was amiss.

Found the driver's side front OEM assembly had blown a seal, later finding out it had been overloaded by my buddy hauling mulch and jumping a curb...friends.

The coup-de-gras was coming home from work one day, drove only a mile and the compressor would not shut off and exceptionally noisy. Stopped to run an errand, the old girl lowered normally hearing the solenoids open/close and the air come out of the dryer, but when I restarted, the compressor "catastrophically failed!" Upon removal inspection, the connecting rod had snapped in half. It lasted 14 years as I said. It took less than an hour to remove and probably two hours swapping pieces over from the old frame and reinstall.

From what you are describing with your suspension being that low, there is a connector under the master cylinder that supplies air to the rear bags called the air suspension union coupler, a $21 part (Ford # 2L1Z-5B322-AA). Mine exploded one day while driving down the road, sounded like a gunshot as all that air rapidly escaped lowering the rear to the shock mounts.

Your solenoid also have a double-set of o-rings that can/will dry out over time which could also prevent air from staying in the system.

Arnott G97NEPD -compressor.
Arnott A-2153 - rear bags.
Monroe 37202ST - rear shocks.
Monroe 18570144 - front air shocks.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Your parts may be a bit different since mine is one of the originals.

PanHandler

OP
OP
M

mkc1962

Reaction score
HOLY,

well I am quite capable of trouble shooting and dealing with the problem. However even with the ford FSM, trouble shooting this system is a nightmare. The ford engineers really worked overtime with their heads up their arses on the design of this system. But, when I started pricing the parts that is when I realized changing over might be the best option. A position sensor at $300 each....get real. They obviously dont want anyone to fix it with those prices.

PANHANDLER

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah none of your problems are similar to mine. Compressor and air to each point is none of my problems. And when my bags do eventually air up, they work fine. My issue is more than likely either ride height sensors or suspension control module. Neither of which, due to price I wish to persue. My compressor works great and is very quiet. If I upgrade, I'll probably keep the compressor and have it hard wired with an optional shrader valve and use it for the occasional need of emergency air.