Air suspension pump running randomly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firefly

Reaction score
2013 Ford Expedition Limited EL with rear air suspension, 170,000 miles.
Air pump runs randomly, even hours after truck is off and runs for 30-40 seconds.
When working in the yard, I can hear the pump running randomly when the truck has been off for hours or days
When I start the truck, the air pump runs for 30-40 seconds and sounds louder than I think it should
Drains the battery, requires trickle charging to prevent dead battery.
No leaks that I can identify - sprayed soapy water on rear air shocks, pump fittings, line coupler on chassis halfway back
Turned air suspension off with very little difference in fender height above rear tire over 48 hours
Drove truck with air suspension off with no change in ride height
Two ride height sensors in back appear normal, not disconnected

I don't have the classic problem of the truck sitting on its rear tires
I wish I had something specific to replace but wondering if I have a slow leak in the rear air shocks and/or a worn out pump
Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Frank Wilson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The suspension will turn on once you exceed 10 -11 mph even if turned off. At 170k, those springs are no longer holding air. The pump is louder because it is worn out. Air is getting past the worn Teflon piston ring so it runs longer.
I'm at 165k , oem compressor sized at 120k. Second compressor wore out at 160k. Third compressor runs every couple minutes for about 3 or so seconds while driving. It won't last long so I have the Arnott conversion springs sitting in the cargo area when it comes time.

willerjim

Reaction score
2000 Lincoln navigator. Random check air system light. Just been working fine other than that. I have all the solenoids and electro pneumatic parts Plus spaghetti plus connect ors what all triggers that dash idiot life

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

RobE

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I plan to replace rear air suspension and the pump. Arnott seems to be a good brand for replacement.
I have a 2011 King Ranch 180k miles. I replaced my rear air suspension with the Arnott non-air struts. Worked great and just pulled the air suspension fuse and capped and tied off the air lines in the back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire