Tracking down some high mileage problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shuvool

Reaction score
I posted this on the other expedition forum, but it's only had 33 views and no replies, and it seems like most everyone comes here, so I will copypasta and hope that someone here has had this issue before and can advise.

I have an '01 XLT Expedition that is over 248K miles and is mostly running fine, it is my daily driver, so I guess that counts for something in the durability department. A while back, I had some issues with the engine missing under load, and it turned out to be a cracked intake manifold. I went to the dealer and got a newer manifold (plastic, I believe, is the replacement for the cracking aluminum problem), spark plugs, and coils...and on a whim, I had them put dual pipes on after the muffler (i like the sound, although, it could stand to be a bit louder). I mention all this just to establish that the manifold, plugs, and coils are all new.

Not too long after, I noticed that it still misses, or at least shudders, under heavy load (hills) although the CEL hasn't come on. I can get it to flash by holding 3/4 throttle at 1500-2000 rpm up a hill, after the shuddering becomes severe, but this is avoided by pushing the throttle all the way down and letting the transmission downshift. I also think that it is lacking power. My Expedition is a 2wd but, the 5.4L V8 seems to have trouble breaking the wheels loose from a stop. I stomp on the gas and I just accelerate at a moderate pace. I know this isn't a sports car, but I would think that 300+ ft lbs of torque would smoke the tires from a stop every time, correct me if this is not the case with this vehicle.

Another symptom I have noticed is that it smells like it's running really rich. This is leading me to believe it might be bad o2 sensors, but I have not had any CEL warnings to indicate any faults. I plan on doing the easy stuff first, like cleaning the MAF sensor, looking at the (newish) air filter to make sure it doesn't have like a nest or something on it, changing o2 sensors, and checking the plugs to see if any of them are fouled. Might be a good idea to fix my non working ac too. Hole in a line, and the other day was 112, but that's another project.

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text, is there anything I have missed our should check first? Thanks in advance for any help

Sierra Lima1470

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I can tell you that I cant get my rear tires to break lose either. Even torque launching it in the rain. So its not just you... Um from what you described some people might suggest the fuel pump or fuel filter as the culprit but I really have no idea.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Just because you have new COPs doesn't mean that they are not bad. I have seen where a new COP will fail shortly after being installed. Also, when you installed the new COPs, did you also install new boots? If you re-used the old boots, that could be your issue too (the boots are responsible for about 50% of the "bad COPs"). So, open the hood and take a look at the top of the COPs. If you see a white line along the edge or running into the center of the COP, then it is cracked and is causing your issues.

It could be that that Throttle Position Sensor is going bad on you. I had a similar situation and found that my TPS had gone bad (granted, mine was aggravated by the fact that I get metal shavings inside of mine). The TPS is a cheap part to replace.

If you are getting the CEL to flash, then there should be a code locked in the computer for you to go retrieve. That may help you narrow down where your problem is.

zets101

Reaction score
Hm, that is strange, I can get my A4WD expy to break traction from a stop even when I'm not trying to. Like Thermo said, if the check engine light flashes at all there should be a code. I know I'm throwing a random idea out but if its doing it under heavy loads (and I assume after the vehicle is warmed up), perhaps it could be a catalytic convertor?

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
My first guess would be the COPS as what you described would put the largest load on them. As thermo said just because they are new does not mean they are good. Another possibility is converter shudder. An easy test for this is hit your brakes lightly (left foot) while the symptoms are present. Just enough to make your brake lights go on but not slow the vehicle. This signals the ecu to unlock your converter. The problem is that this does not guarantee that its the converter as it also removes load from the motor.

My expy will roast the tires if I lock in 2wd and jump on it from a stop but it has been "slightly" modified. The expys have good front to rear weight balance. I believe they may actually have more weight on the rear. (My theory dues to higher tire pressure specs in the rear.) So you likely have 2800 pounds on drive wheels which aids traction and as you accelerate the weight transfers to the rear.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
zets, is yours all-time A4WD, or do you have 2wd option? reason i ask is because my 01 EB is all-time A4wd (no 2wd option) and i cannot break traction even in dirt because the A4WD kicks in. Only time i can get it to break free is in the mud, and even then it takes some effort! gotta love A4WD!

Expeditionary

Full Access Members
Reaction score
zets, is yours all-time A4WD, or do you have 2wd option? reason i ask is because my 01 EB is all-time A4wd (no 2wd option) and i cannot break traction even in dirt because the A4WD kicks in. Only time i can get it to break free is in the mud, and even then it takes some effort! gotta love A4WD!

except when you try to do donuts

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty much everything I would have guessed as been said.

COPs
Fuel Filter
Catalytic converter
MAF sensor
O2 sensor
And some others…