Transfer case motor frozen-moving selector by hand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's the transfer case motor that is frozen. There are no weird noises and the truck drives fine. I'm going to change the motor out but I want to check the transfer case is changing. Should I be able to twist the selector by hand? How much resistance should there be?
Also, I have the light for A4wd. How does the system work? With Chevys, the transfer case is engaged and when the computer senses slippage, it engages the front diff. That is why Chevys Automatic 4wd is useless. The front diffs on Chevys constantly go out because of broken forks. Is the Ford system the same or better build?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Well, you can do exactly the opposite. Remove the transfer case motor, (leave it hooked up to the electrical connection) Then have someone move the switch and see if the motor moves.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what TONYDIV said if the movement is not smooth and somewhat fast it could use a rebuild