Transfer Case Whining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDEVIR

Reaction score
Purchased used 2019 a few weeks ago w 50K. Snow storms past few days so used 4A and Snow setting getting around town. Been hearing a drive train 'whine' when traveling w slight load around 20 to 30 mph. Brought to local Ford dealer and indicated problem to be: 1) truck has one odd tire which has different tread depth on right rear; and 2) transfer case been 'torn-up/worked-over' trying to compensate for the different circumference tire. Estimate 3 tires are at 7/32" depth and the one odd tire (presume a newer replacement) is at 9/32" tread depth. Dealer said need to replace all 4 tires immediately and then see if transfer case whine goes away. He said it is not likely to go away and will need a new transfer case. Indicated Ford powertrain warranty does not apply as this damage was caused by the odd tire by previous owner.

Questions - is the 2/32" tread depth enough to cause these problems as indicated?

Anyone else had similar experience?

Aerogt01

Reaction score
What is their reasoning the Tcase is on it's last legs? Unless 4A was used for thousands of miles with tires in that condition I doubt that's the case. Also, depending where the tire is the open diff will likely make up a lot of the slack anyway.

Otherwise, it is generally not recommended to run different size tires. Yes, it could eventually do damage - I'd just ask if they can just shave the 9/32 tire. But my 4A makes a bit more noise than 2H brand new, and the always-on 4A on the Jeep makes an audible drivetrain whine at all times unless coasting. I've just learned to ignore it.

OP
OP
M

MDEVIR

Reaction score
Update - Dealer stated the odd tire was 1/2-in different in height and hence vehicle needed 4 new tires. 4 new tires were installed (Uniroyal Tire Paws) dealer choice - and did solve the drive train noise. Tire cost was p/u'd by Enterprise Car Sales. Based on this result and the inspection dealer indicated transfer case is fine and powertrain warranty is intact. I was happy to hear this outcome!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats a big difference in tire. That one tire was trying to go over an inch and a half farther ahead of the normal sized tires EVERY rotation of the axle. I'm amazed there isn't more damage.