Transmission fluid change interval

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
I have a '20 Expedition. I'm accumulating parts to change my oil pan (installing a new pan with a drain plug), fluid (whatever is in the pan only) and filter at 35K. I plan to drop fluid only at 70K and 105K, I'll drop the fluid, pan, and filter again at 140K, and repeat. By doing this, I should maintain an average fluid life of less than 100K throughout the life of the vehicle.

Why? Experience.

My 2007 F150 5.4L 4x4 4-speed auto with Mercon V had a similar OEM recommendation of changing at 150K, which I foolishly planned on following....without research. The fluid lost its shear strength and clutches started to slip at 110K without any towing. I caught it soon enough, did a complete fluid and filter change and it recovered completely (I did the same again at 180K and have done no other transmission repairs). The truck is being driven by my wife at this moment with 207K and the transmission is the least of my worries.

BTW, I found that Rock had the best price on Motorcraft ULV and Motorcraft Trans Filter for the 10R80. Ford TechMakuloco has lots of good vids, including the 10R80 fluid/filter change vid.
I own a 2006 f150 2x4 with 253k, and I’ve never done anything except change the oil, one wheel bearing, and an alternator. Never even flushed the coolant, never touched the transmission. I drive it everyday and have pulled trailer loads of wood with it multiple times. Experiences can vary when it comes to these things. I personally think you’re crazy to go through that much trouble, but if it gives you peace of mind and you enjoy it…

Herby

Reaction score
I currently have a 2007 Expedition and change my tranny and diff fluids every 30K. Currently have 215K on the vehicle. Rather keep fluid clean and ready at all times. Just my preference. To go 100k on fluid is nutz!

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I own a 2006 f150 2x4 with 253k, and I’ve never done anything except change the oil, one wheel bearing, and an alternator. Never even flushed the coolant, never touched the transmission. I drive it everyday and have pulled trailer loads of wood with it multiple times. Experiences can vary when it comes to these things. I personally think you’re crazy to go through that much trouble, but if it gives you peace of mind and you enjoy it…
Did you buy it new?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I'm gonna bring this back up after reviewing and searching the forum for any collective thoughts on something like a four-wheel service with tranny flush.

I'm not a heavy driver, meaning I don't tow two boats and a jeep behind this thing all the time, I do drive a lot of mountain passes up and down as well as a lot of in town driving, and I'm a little heavy on the pedal, but I don't try race every EV I pull up next to. That being said, every 4x4 I've had for the last 20 years, I was pretty meticulous about getting good 4 wheel services done every 3yrs or about 50k miles, regardless of driving, some times more often in my Jeeps when I took them offroad more. So with that said, there really seems to be a lot of consternation on here about not opening these things unless you have to. I've seen some on here say 100k between tranny/tcase flushes, I've seen 150k. Somehow that just scares me, given how complex these are and how prone they are to metal debris and wear.

Are we all really that afraid that these techs will do the service wrong, that we truly wait that long between cleanings? I used to even do some of these services myself, but something tells me it's a whole lot easier to service those older trannies and QD2 T-Cases. I know the procedure looks pretty terrible, lifting the tranny etc, but are the Ford techs really that bad out there that something this simple can't be done right? Preventative maintenance just shouldn't be this scary.

So what is everyone doing these days? Waiting that long, or hoping they get rid of their rigs before they do something like this? I'm okay with paying for it if it's done right, doesn't cause more issues than it fixes, and extends the life possibly. Would love some more recent feedback on what you are all doing. Wish I could add a poll here, for change intervals or just waiting.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I'm gonna bring this back up after reviewing and searching the forum for any collective thoughts on something like a four-wheel service with tranny flush.

I'm not a heavy driver, meaning I don't tow two boats and a jeep behind this thing all the time, I do drive a lot of mountain passes up and down as well as a lot of in town driving, and I'm a little heavy on the pedal, but I don't try race every EV I pull up next to. That being said, every 4x4 I've had for the last 20 years, I was pretty meticulous about getting good 4 wheel services done every 3yrs or about 50k miles, regardless of driving, some times more often in my Jeeps when I took them offroad more. So with that said, there really seems to be a lot of consternation on here about not opening these things unless you have to. I've seen some on here say 100k between tranny/tcase flushes, I've seen 150k. Somehow that just scares me, given how complex these are and how prone they are to metal debris and wear.

Are we all really that afraid that these techs will do the service wrong, that we truly wait that long between cleanings? I used to even do some of these services myself, but something tells me it's a whole lot easier to service those older trannies and QD2 T-Cases. I know the procedure looks pretty terrible, lifting the tranny etc, but are the Ford techs really that bad out there that something this simple can't be done right? Preventative maintenance just shouldn't be this scary.

So what is everyone doing these days? Waiting that long, or hoping they get rid of their rigs before they do something like this? I'm okay with paying for it if it's done right, doesn't cause more issues than it fixes, and extends the life possibly. Would love some more recent feedback on what you are all doing. Wish I could add a poll here, for change intervals or just waiting.

The problem is 10R80 fluid level needs to be filled and then checked at 200ish F. Therefore, some, if not most, dealership techs wouldn't follow this procedure properly. Firstly, it takes time to drive until the temp rises to 200F. Second of all, it is dangerous for techs to check the fluid level when it reaches 200F because the super hot exhaust pipe blocks the access to the fluid level gauge. This is actually a Ford's design problem. Even popular Ford tech Youtubers just made their guess when they replaced the 10R80 fluid as I saw on Youtube.

Last edited:

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed my tranny fluid out at around 70k. Followed ford tech makuloko's video. It wasn’t too bad at all. Got the fluid & filter from Rockauto, by far the cheapest place. Torque spec for the pan bolts is very low—felt light hand-tight at best. I felt they should be a bit tighter, but followed directions and have no leaks, so.

For the lion's share of the fill, I used a plastic tube with a funnel so I could fill it from up in the engine bay. Rest was a hand pump screwed into the bottle.

Reading that dipstick isn’t the easiest, and getting it filled shade tree style to the proper level was the longest part of the job. Lots of up and down, starting and shutting off the motor. And that exhaust pipe right there gets hot quick. By the time the fluid level was reading close to the marks, the fluid had heated up a decent amount. I put more in than came out, so I think it was a little under filled. Shifting was better after, and now I’ve put 3k miles or so on the new fluid and it’s all good, so I’m confident the level is correct.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So is it the consensus that we really should be doing sooner than the factory mileage, but it's either a huge pain in the rear or you risk techs not doing it right? Super frustrating also, as I can almost guarantee the dealer will require to leave your car for at least a day, rather than something that used be done in an express lube style service.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So is it the consensus that we really should be doing sooner than the factory mileage, but it's either a huge pain in the rear or you risk techs not doing it right? Super frustrating also, as I can almost guarantee the dealer will require to leave your car for at least a day, rather than something that used be done in an express lube style service.
Im pretty sure if you go to an express lube (Valvoline, Jiffy lube) they perform transmission services and can get u in and out in a jiffy. They advertise transmission service