Transmission overheating after service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know someone that pulls a big enclosed trailer through the deserts of utah at 90 with no overheating issues. Gas mileage is dismal but it doesn't get too hot.

I have only gotten hot pulling a trailer up a steep grade at low speed (25mphish). Zero issues on that same grade at 35mph.

OP
OP
John Ferrero

John Ferrero

Reaction score
Did you ever get your issue resolved. I’m having very same or similar issue with my 2018 expedition. I’ve been two two different dealers and they can’t figure it out. I’ve had transmission rebuilt once in the process and most recently a brand new trans and replaced trans oil cooler and still having overheating issue and losing trans fluid. I’m wondering if it’s coming out the vent due to something overheating the transmission or it’s leaking transmission fluid from a line or something and the loss of fluid is what starts the overheating. I have to drive for 30-40 mins before temps climb.
No resolution on the problem that happened on trip to KC. When I spoke with service manager at dealer he indicated it wouldn't throw any codes because never hit critical temp (250 according to him). Have been on several trips since with no trans. temp issues.....so I'm hoping it never returns!

I did have the tranny lose 3+ qts fluid after original Aux pump repair on a trip to Eagle River WI. That issue came down to the dealer not torqueing the bolts on the tranny pan to spec (at least what 2nd dealer indicated who replaced fluid/torqued pan). Sorry, not much help!

Last edited:

JGolfer

Reaction score
John, did you ever find out what the issue was with the slipping and transmission temp increase? I have been dealing with the exact issue with 2018 Expedition Max. This weekends trip at similar speeds transmission peaked at 108C or 226F. In past have noticed the slipping scenario around 96C or 205F or higher. What happened this weekend on cruise RPMs went from 2,000 to 3,000 during the slip then back to 2,000 then it finally shifted to 9, then 8 back to 9 and then service engine light came on through a notification of Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power (from the Ford App) and the service wrench was displayed. Also the transmission stayed in 9 speed at 80+ MPH and the temp dropped quickly back to 90C or 194F. After stopping and restarting at a rest area no wrench and went back to normal operation including 10 speed and lower temps in the 80C for the rest of the weekend trip. Vehicle has 181K on it and fluids were services at 150K and checked in the last month to be the correct fluid and level. Would like to figure out what is happening, but for now it is running fine.

Thomas Hardesty

Reaction score
Cheers. Had vehicle into local Ford dealership for an auto start-stop issue (approx. 59.5k m), when stopping it would turn off as expected then would re-start (a majority of the time it would lurch forward with a shuddee). No problem diagnosed after consultation with Ford Engineering. Brought in again when time allowed, right at 60k m. Again diagnostics showed no codes thrown. After another consultation with FE they determined the issue to be the auxillary tranny pump (embedded in tranny) was not functioning and would cause the vehicle to restart (presumably sensing no fluid flow?). Great, pump replaced along with tranny fluid and filter (which they attempted to charge $200 for, claiming aux. pump was outside tranny and fluid change wasn't required! I simply requested tech to show me under the vehicle where said pump existed outside tranny....they relented and 'ack.' it was in tranny after consulting with their svc. manual and would be covered under warranty and I'd only be charged for the new filter). After the service I noted fluids on my garage floor over successive days, smelled like could be transmission fluid. I brought it back into the dealership where they determined just some residual fluid dripping down. That same evening, yesterday, I took the vehicle on a trip a couple hundred miles into Wi. Was monitoring tranny temp for annomolies (typically ran 205 deg on ski trips with fully load in/on vehicle - from prior monitoring while on ski trips). Seemed good at 205 deg. Around 200 miles into the trip (approx 45 deg out/no load in or on vehicle) I noticed slight slip/hesitancy when trying to accelerate (was doing 83 in light of traffic on expressway). Temp was showing 243 deg. and started slipping/more shuddering. I immediately brought down to 75 and temp. started to drop down to 232. I had to drive another 150 miles to get to destination (and was in the middle of no-where Wi., 10:30pm so pulling into dealer en-route wasn't an option). Will be bringing into local Ford dealer this AM for inspection, any thoughts on issue? I suspect underfill or overfill of tranny fluid. Any opinions on long-term damage of tranny due to event?
I simply purchased a device that overrides the annoying s/s