Transmission overheating after service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John Ferrero

John Ferrero

Reaction score
Update....dealer replaced 13 qts tranny fluids, all seemed OK. Next trip, Kansas City....approx. 400miles. Trip down uneventful, Temp stayed 205-210 with not much load 1100lbs (Passengers/dogs/gear on carryall). Trip back, up till approximately 60 miles into trip the transmission was running fine/temp around 205. Out of nowhere it starts hunting/slipping (moving from 10 to 9 and back/feels like something going on with torque converter???. Was traveling 83mph and 57degrees out (only 900 lbs at this point), temp is moving up from 217 and progresses to 235 over next 15 minutes or so with more slipping/hunting between 10 and 8th gear. Backed speed down to 78 and temp starts to drop slowly from 235 back down all the way to 205 over the next 50 miles or so. From that time on ran between 205 and 215 with a speed range of 75-86 mph. I suspect something is causing cooling issue flow and eventually clears......thoughts?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update....dealer replaced 13 qts tranny fluids, all seemed OK. Next trip, Kansas City....approx. 400miles. Trip down uneventful, Temp stayed 205-210 with not much load 1100lbs (Passengers/dogs/gear on carryall). Trip back, up till approximately 60 miles into trip the transmission was running fine/temp around 205. Out of nowhere it starts hunting/slipping (moving from 10 to 9 and back/feels like something going on with torque converter???. Was traveling 83mph and 57degrees out (only 900 lbs at this point), temp is moving up from 217 and progresses to 235 over next 15 minutes or so with more slipping/hunting between 10 and 8th gear. Backed speed down to 78 and temp starts to drop slowly from 235 back down all the way to 205 over the next 50 miles or so. From that time on ran between 205 and 215 with a speed range of 75-86 mph. I suspect something is causing cooling issue flow and eventually clears......thoughts?

Still under warranty? Back to a dealer for diagnosis and repair? Perhaps there will be codes stored to assist with diagnosis?

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Friend had a Explorer do this for yrs many dealer visits finally old crusty tech says anyone check the cooler? Yep bad cooler from factory was plugged so no fluid flow through it. 120,000 and the explorer finally had proper transmission cooling he just sold it at 260,000 still going strong lol

Blulak77

Reaction score
Did you ever get your issue resolved. I’m having very same or similar issue with my 2018 expedition. I’ve been two two different dealers and they can’t figure it out. I’ve had transmission rebuilt once in the process and most recently a brand new trans and replaced trans oil cooler and still having overheating issue and losing trans fluid. I’m wondering if it’s coming out the vent due to something overheating the transmission or it’s leaking transmission fluid from a line or something and the loss of fluid is what starts the overheating. I have to drive for 30-40 mins before temps climb.

DJAucutt

Reaction score
John, I believe I read that your auto start/stop was acting up. Has the work done so far cleared that issue? My 2018 Max Limited has about 53K. Dealer just replaced both front wheel bearings under power train warranty. I rarely tow, so temp has not been an issue. Start/stop works very seldom. Shudders when it does work. Tranny sometimes hesitates between 3-4. Have you experienced hesitation in lower gears?

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds to me that you are pushing it too hard ? These are trucks and not designed for sustained high speed. I think you answered the question as you backed off and the temps dropped.

OP
OP
John Ferrero

John Ferrero

Reaction score
Sounds to me that you are pushing it too hard ? These are trucks and not designed for sustained high speed. I think you answered the question as you backed off and the temps dropped.
for sure dropping speed helped bring temp down but I don' t believe that to be true that the truck can't deal with prolonged 85mph lightly loaded. Prior to the temp rise it was running at 207-210 the whole time. Also, haven't had an issue since and I run it constantly at 85mph on interstate when clear to do so. When discussing it with a Ford tech from another dealer he didn't believe the vehicle was being pushed at all. He did say if towing or having high load maybe but not with what I was running. He guessed some sort of fluid flow issue that resolved itself.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These trucks are designed to run 100mph all day long in 100+ degree heat, loaded, up and down and all around (Obviously, not towing).
Depending on heat, drag, boost and RPMs, your trans-temp will see a bump of a few degrees. The result of the "jump-up" may be a radiator flap issue which seals up and opens under certain conditions to increase engine warming and fuel mileage with better aeros.

Some folks in warmer climates gut the entire system and have found a work around for the warning light--or just remove the flaps and not the actuators.

Good luck.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
for sure dropping speed helped bring temp down but I don' t believe that to be true that the truck can't deal with prolonged 85mph lightly loaded. Prior to the temp rise it was running at 207-210 the whole time. Also, haven't had an issue since and I run it constantly at 85mph on interstate when clear to do so. When discussing it with a Ford tech from another dealer he didn't believe the vehicle was being pushed at all. He did say if towing or having high load maybe but not with what I was running. He guessed some sort of fluid flow issue that resolved itself.
I pull my boat, that’s almost 7K loaded out at 80 mph in Nevada heat (100+)for the last two years and have never had it get into the yellow. So close but never to limp mode. Something is not right with yours. Only thing I had overheating was my tires and wheel bearings.
5017A447-7DBA-43BE-B3EA-90A49E3685B6.jpeg
EFBEAE91-2EED-4A5B-B379-B1408D4E599E.jpeg