Transmition maintenance question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
The fluid for the 4x4 (5.4L EB) in the user manual say E40D (4x4) 16.4 quarts Motorcraft Mercon ATF, not Mercon V

The mercon V is for 4R70W 4x2 4.7L engine. (in the user manual)

So in summary:
1.- Drain the oil (just open the pan, not flush or anything else)
2.- Change all the oil with Mercon ATF fluid at right level
3.- A pray to St. Ford for extend my transmission life hahaha (just kidding).

I really appreciate your help a lot, thanks to all, I will do this work this weekend, it's a lot of oil :S

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Mercon V is what they all use, hopefully someone will chime in as to why but I know this has been covered...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
So the user manual bye bye hahaha, and change the oil for Mercon V? which is the difference between one oil and the other?
How can I be sure if my transmission is E40D use Mercon V insted Mercon? I read the transmission of 4.7 and 5.4 are different, and 4.7 is 4x2 not 4x4

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The transmissions may be different between the 4.6 and a 5.4, however, if you have the 5.4, then you have the 4r100 transmission and therefore would need the Mercon V. If I remember correctly, the user manual calls for a fluid that was used when it was written… the Mercon V is the fluid used now and has been for a while and is backward compatible to cover the previous versions used, I'm pretty sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
Thats all what I need, I really appreciate your comments and help. Thx a lot
I will do that this weekend

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fluid for the 4x4 (5.4L EB) in the user manual say E40D (4x4) 16.4 quarts Motorcraft Mercon ATF, not Mercon V

The mercon V is for 4R70W 4x2 4.7L engine. (in the user manual)

So in summary:
1.- Drain the oil (just open the pan, not flush or anything else)
2.- Change all the oil with Mercon ATF fluid at right level
3.- A pray to St. Ford for extend my transmission life hahaha (just kidding).

I really appreciate your help a lot, thanks to all, I will do this work this weekend, it's a lot of oil :S

The 16.4 quarts is the total capacity. Dropping the pan, you will only need 5 or 6 quarts to refill. Someone else confirm that. I think that's right.

bc11

Reaction score
Yep, most of the fluid is up in the torque converter and doesn't drain out with the pan. I forget how much mine took but 5 or 6 is close. As expensive as it is, ask the parts store about returning any extra when you buy it. Also the faceplate in the driver's door jamb will contain the transmission number that is in your vehicle. Double check that. I know that upgrades in oil is backwards compatible but tranny fluid is something else as they have different additives for the different types of rubbers the manufacturers use which has changed to better compounds over the years and they can have different viscosities and how much they compress under pressure will affect how the fluid works in the torque converter. Not sure I would use one that isn't recommended unless ford ok's it.

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
Thanks to all, the transmission is E40D (label on the door) and the fluid say Mercon ATF.
I will buy 6 qr and change the oil today.
I appreciate a lot all your comments and help, thanks a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik