Triton V8 or Ecoboost V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that it's mostly a matter of preference at this point. I prefer the 5.4 and am happy that we purchased a 2014. That said, people like to feel good about what they bought, and they look for data to support the choice they made, and they tend to ignore data that contradicts their choice. It's just human nature and I'm as guilty of it as anyone. Companies know that, and when they pay for advertising, they aren't just trying to sell a product, they're trying to make people that already made a purchase feel good about it.

One last note: I seldom drive our expedition. That said, we took it on a trip to the beach last week and when the cruise was set at 70 MPH, on hilly terrain it would fluctuate between 65-75 (or worse!). I'm in Georgia, we're not exactly talking about The Rockies here. In my opinion, that's ridiculous, and if the EB maintains a more constant speed, that would be a huge plus in my opinion.

If your cruise is really fluctuating 10mph I'd take it to Ford as that's not normal and is most likely not your engine or anything to do with it.

Your right it's coke vs Pepsi we all prefer what we personally like. They both suffice and are good engines is all I'm trying to say. If you really don't think that you shouldn't be here as the expedition has ran the triton for years and did fine and sold fine and towed fine with it. The ecoboost sells and towes and runs fine as well. I like V8 others like V6 oh well the world goes around.

Last edited:

5x10

Reaction score
If your cruise is really fluctuating 10mph I'd take it to Ford as that's not normal and is most likely not your engine or anything to do with it.

Your right it's coke vs Pepsi we all prefer what we personally like. They both suffice and are good engines is all I'm trying to say. If you really don't think that you shouldn't be here as the expedition has ran the triton for years and did fine and sold fine and towed fine with it. The ecoboost sells and towes and runs fine as well. I like V8 others like V6 oh well the world goes around.
I'm curious to know if you have ever driven an ecoboost?

I'm a life long gm/chevy guy. My dad was the general manager of a chevy dealership so every car I have had was a gm product, up until this ford(I'm 38, got the Ford a few months ago)
We had a Tahoe with 150k miles on it and my wife wanted a newer/larger vehicle
The expeditions were significantly cheaper (both new and used)than the suburbans, she was going to drive it, so I said screw it, let's give the Ford a shot
We found a platinum el nearby, but it had the ecoboost which scared the heck out of me, in addition to it being a ford(understand my bias here)
After some research, talking to owners, etc, I decided to buy it
Never gave it much thought until we had to travel and I was driving it for a longer period of time
That's when I realized how great of an engine it is
I routinely found myself getting to 50mph with no effort at all, wasn't even gassing it that much, and this is a bigger vehicle than the tahoe(5.3l)
I let my father in law drive it while he was watching the kids and when we came to pick him up, I asked him What he thought
He said the engine was nuts!(he's a Ford guy btw), said it reminded him of his turbo diesel expect more quiet
I can see a 6.2l gm engine getting up and going, but I do feel it would be a different ride, due to the higher rpms required to hit the same torque levels , and I'm fairly certain it will cost more
There's still some worry in my mind about the longevity of this turbo engine, carbon deposits, etc
My .02

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if you have ever driven an ecoboost?

I'm a life long gm/chevy guy. My dad was the general manager of a chevy dealership so every car I have had was a gm product, up until this ford(I'm 38, got the Ford a few months ago)
We had a Tahoe with 150k miles on it and my wife wanted a newer/larger vehicle
The expeditions were significantly cheaper (both new and used)than the suburbans, she was going to drive it, so I said screw it, let's give the Ford a shot
We found a platinum el nearby, but it had the ecoboost which scared the heck out of me, in addition to it being a ford(understand my bias here)
After some research, talking to owners, etc, I decided to buy it
Never gave it much thought until we had to travel and I was driving it for a longer period of time
That's when I realized how great of an engine it is
I routinely found myself getting to 50mph with no effort at all, wasn't even gassing it that much, and this is a bigger vehicle than the tahoe(5.3l)
I let my father in law drive it while he was watching the kids and when we came to pick him up, I asked him What he thought
He said the engine was nuts!(he's a Ford guy btw), said it reminded him of his turbo diesel expect more quiet
I can see a 6.2l gm engine getting up and going, but I do feel it would be a different ride, due to the higher rpms required to hit the same torque levels , and I'm fairly certain it will cost more
There's still some worry in my mind about the longevity of this turbo engine, carbon deposits, etc
My .02

Just drove one I have a family member who got a new F150 platinum with the 3.5 and he even had me floor it so yes have driven one. I would not worry about the turbo ecoboost being unreliable I think it will be fine it's been around since 11'. I just have that disease when I press down on a V8 that sound just gets me every time. In fact when I floored it he said "didn't it sound like your V8?" I said yea how come? He said "it's through the stereo system to sound like one, all through the speakers". I was surprised they could do that. Carbon build up is the one thing you mention that would concern me as well, there are some FordTechMakuloco videos regarding carbon build up in the ecoboost engines I haven't watched in a long time so I don't know if they have been addressed. I'd say weak spots on the 3.5 are the turbos and possible carbon build up and maybe some issues in the lower end as it runs. Every engine has weak spots though not saying this is abnormal or bad. The triton had weak spots such as VCT solonoids, camphasers, and timing issues. All engines have their soft spots.

Last edited:

5x10

Reaction score
Just drove one I have a family member who got a new F150 platinum with the 3.5 and he even had me floor it so yes have driven one. I would not worry about the turbo ecoboost being unreliable I think it will be fine it's been around since 11'. I just have that disease when I press down on a V8 that sound just gets me every time. In fact when I floored it he said "didn't it sound like your V8?" I said yea how come? He said "it's through the stereo system to sound like one, all through the speakers". I was surprised they could do that. Carbon build up is the one thing you mention that would concern me as well, there are some FordTechMakuloco videos regarding carbon build up in the ecoboost engines I haven't watched in a long time so I don't know if they have been addressed.
I don't think the carbon is going away, I run a bottle or two of Techron through it once a month, hope that helps over the long run
I didn't know the speakers could replicate the v8 sound

Flooring the ecoboost isn't that great to me, there's a little lag, and your not getting the high rpm scream of the v8, although it's still pretty fast
It's that low rpm torque that I love

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is definitely the ecoboosts key asset, that low end torque is definitely a great characteristic to that motor.

TravisDBQ

Reaction score
I have had a Chevy for about 20 years. In general, Im not a car guy and most of the specs go over my head. That said...I knew that my 2005 Chevy Suburban Z71 was struggling with pulling the camper. I knew that it was a bit of an overload but it has pulled by 33ft camper for a few years without issue other than pulling up steep hills. I needed a new vehicle for a few reason so I started doing some research. I needed a lot more towing capacity and torque and found that the 2015 and newer Expeditions seemed to blow the competition away. I went with 2015 Ford Expedition a few months ago and it amazes me how much easier it pulls the large camper. Hills are no longer an issue at all. It looks great, perfect for hauling my six kids and it pulls the family camper. I am extremely satisfied with my decision.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a Chevy for about 20 years. In general, Im not a car guy and most of the specs go over my head. That said...I knew that my 2005 Chevy Suburban Z71 was struggling with pulling the camper. I knew that it was a bit of an overload but it has pulled by 33ft camper for a few years without issue other than pulling up steep hills. I needed a new vehicle for a few reason so I started doing some research. I needed a lot more towing capacity and torque and found that the 2015 and newer Expeditions seemed to blow the competition away. I went with 2015 Ford Expedition a few months ago and it amazes me how much easier it pulls the large camper. Hills are no longer an issue at all. It looks great, perfect for hauling my six kids and it pulls the family camper. I am extremely satisfied with my decision.

Glad to hear you like the expedition Travis. You are correct the expedition has always had a leg up on the competition on towing and hauling capabilities. I was looking at tahoes before I purchased but went with Ford after doing research on GM Vs. Ford six speed transmissions and towing ratings. On the 07-14 both GM and Ford it seems the GM 5.3 is slightly quicker with no weight behind it but you put a load back there and the triton blows the vortec to the wind and I mean the Tahoe will be eating your dust. It's all torque. The triton tows way better than vortec and The 15-17 is only more of a difference now as mentioned with the ecoboosts low end torque. I give Ford props for making an SUV that can actually tow and haul and be an SUV at the same time. Hope your eco lasts you a long time.

Last edited:

5x10

Reaction score
what engine does if have?

Last edited: