Tune Question - Limited vs Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leon Nett

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, new member here, I tried searching and read a bunch of threads but didnt help my confusion.

I am considering an Expedition or Navigator and putting a tune on it. I know the Navigator engine is different like the Raptor. For the Expy though...if you have a limited and tune it vs a platinum with a tune...do you end up at the same 464HP with the 5 Star tune or does the Limited still come in lower since its starting from a lower oem power level?

Also, not much out there I could find for info on Navigator...assume the after tune numbers would be similar to the Raptor?

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why?? I have a platinum with the 400hp. It certainly doesn't need more power. It's 0-60 approximates my '95 corvette with 300hp. Its wicked fast. Why spend the money and risk damage. Can't see you noticing any more acceleration.

OP
OP
L

Leon Nett

Reaction score
Valid question. Drove a Limited and a Platinum and felt they both needed a little more umph to suit me. Right before I test drove them, I tested a Durango SRT which is crazy quick and that probably didnt help my impression. Durango is just a bit small inside though. I have a 2012 Shelby GT500 as well with some fun bits added that dynoed at 683 rwhp...more power is sort of my thing I guess :)

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why?? I have a platinum with the 400hp. It certainly doesn't need more power. It's 0-60 approximates my '95 corvette with 300hp. Its wicked fast. Why spend the money and risk damage. Can't see you noticing any more acceleration.

I'm pretty sure if you bumped it to 600HP like 5 star is fully capable of, that you WILL NOTICE a crap ton more acceleration! lol.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Platinum and non Platinum use the same engine, they will see the same results from the tune. The Expedition engine actually makes MORE TUNED HP than the Raptor engine does after its been tuned. I'm not exactly certain on all the details, but 5 star has shown the dyne graphs and it indeed does. The Raptor engine has higher compression and such, so I'm sure they can feed more air to the lower compression engine.....

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a sports car guy. Looking to get a 2020 911 Targa 4 GTS, so I'm not afraid of acceleration, but it's a truck. It doesn't handle like a sports car. 400hp is plenty for this. Get another vehicle for the weekends if you want to something faster. No? JMHO.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a power nut too, so I'm always looking for easy ways to add ponies to everything! :)

OrangeWhipX3

Reaction score
The Platinum engine is no different than the "base" engine, just tuned a little hotter out of the box. If you're going to tune the piss out of it don't waste your money on the Platinum thinking you'll get more ponies out of it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if you bumped it to 600HP like 5 star is fully capable of, that you WILL NOTICE a crap ton more acceleration! lol.

lol but before you do that go over to the EcoBoost forum and read their blown engine thread...all those guys with blown low mile motors seem to be running those crazy 5* tunes end up with rods blowing holes through the block and get no warranty coverage.

Last edited:

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
lol but before you do that go over to the EcoBoost forum and read their blown engine thread...all those guys with blown low mile motors seem to be running those crazy 5* tunes end up with rods blowing holes through the block and get no warranty coverage.

Anybody thinking these tunes are completely safe is fooling themselves. Look, if you want to take on the risk associated with them then be my guest. But don't think you're getting "Free" performance that Ford just didn't want to give you either because they hate their customers or because of fuel economy or whatever. It's not free, there's substantial risks involved.