Tune up or leave alone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven68502

Reaction score
In 2017 I bought my uncle’s 2003 EB 5.4 4x4 Expedition with 68000 miles on it. He bought it new off the dealership lot. I now have just over 86000 miles on it. I’ve had the pinion seal replaced and the gaskets in the transfer case replaced due to a bit of leaking. Brake system and power steering has been flushed. The right valve cover has some very slight seepage. I figure I’ll have that addressed when I get a tuneup. But that is my question. The engine still runs like a top. Can hardly feel it at idle. Still get about 17 on the highway. The transmission is silky smooth at all speeds. The build date of this thing is 09/02, so almost an 18 year old truck. Do I wait for a tuneup after it starts to run rough? Or due to age, get the tuneup now? I realize I better probably be changing out belts and hoses just because of their age. Thoughts?

Plati

Reaction score
In 2017 I bought my uncle’s 2003 EB 5.4 4x4 Expedition with 68000 miles on it. He bought it new off the dealership lot. I now have just over 86000 miles on it. I’ve had the pinion seal replaced and the gaskets in the transfer case replaced due to a bit of leaking. Brake system and power steering has been flushed. The right valve cover has some very slight seepage. I figure I’ll have that addressed when I get a tuneup. But that is my question. The engine still runs like a top. Can hardly feel it at idle. Still get about 17 on the highway. The transmission is silky smooth at all speeds. The build date of this thing is 09/02, so almost an 18 year old truck. Do I wait for a tuneup after it starts to run rough? Or due to age, get the tuneup now? I realize I better probably be changing out belts and hoses just because of their age. Thoughts?
I dont see how anyone could answer that question for you.
Would have to know your personal situation and see the vehicle and etc etc.

I have a 2003 I use locally with 186K on it that has numerous issues but suits my needs just fine. I use it to haul stuff and it's really nice having a second vehicle in case my 2014EL needs to go the the Doctor. It's also nice to drive my 2003 in the winter to the grocery for those short trips that preserve my 2014 for ... EXPEDITIONS

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I thought those 5.4L engines needed plugs replaced often. If the trans runs like silk and three are only a few minor issues, keep it running. New vehicles are not to run as long as that one. Tune it up and and keep it running. Motorcraft sp-479 plugs are under $4 each. Use a 15% off code and you're out the door with new plugs for under $30.

You may want to take it to a shop and have the frame looked at.

I had to replace brake lines on my neighbors 2003 EB. We didn't notice the frame rot until after completion.

If it runs great and you enjoy the vehicle, check out the frame and see if it will last a few more years.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
dda35deeff4e73bea1b53400ab921506.jpg

Last edited:

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plug it and Hose it. Rockauto.com is a supporting vendor. Check their site, order and take 5% off total order. I installed the Iridium plugs in mine. Change the air filter & check the belts/pulleys. Valve covers may just need snugging down. Next oil change go to 5w-30 quality oil, I use 5w-40 Rotella T synthetic for my area. Keep the battery terminals cleaned & use dielectric grease on posts.

Enjoy:chewie:

smith627

Reaction score
It's your vehicle but if its running very smooth I would leave it alone until it starts idling rough. My 2004 XLT has just over 270,000 miles and I've only had one spark plug and coil pack replaced about 8 years ago and it still idles like new and gets an average of 15 mpg. Other than brakes, tires, batteries, fluids and filters changed per owner's manual, the only other things replaced were serpentine belt at 250,000, PCV valve, and a couple water hoses. The windshield washer pump just recently failed but I haven't fixed it yet. No fluid leaks anywhere.....maybe just lucky and on borrowed time. :)

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's your vehicle but if its running very smooth I would leave it alone until it starts idling rough. My 2004 XLT has just over 270,000 miles and I've only had one spark plug and coil pack replaced about 8 years ago and it still idles like new and gets an average of 15 mpg. Other than brakes, tires, batteries, fluids and filters changed per owner's manual, the only other things replaced were serpentine belt at 250,000, PCV valve, and a couple water hoses. The windshield washer pump just recently failed but I haven't fixed it yet. No fluid leaks anywhere.....maybe just lucky and on borrowed time. :)

You've replaced 1...single plug in 270k?

smith627

Reaction score
Yes, hard to believe. No other vehicle I've owned in my life has been this trouble free. Original engine, transmission, water pump, radiator, fuel pump, starter, alternator, power steering pump, and no suspension or drive train work.
Probably 75% highway miles before retiring 8 years ago. I don't take it out of town anymore just to play it safe.
Now after saying all this it will probably fall apart by the end of the year. :(

Last edited:

heston gee

Reaction score
Depending on the plug style, best to do a tune up every 30 to 50k miles in effort to keep plugs from breaking. I bought my 05 for 5k, and wound up another 5k on a new engine because a plug broke and scored the cylinder wall.

thesavo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maintenance guide from fleet.ford.com says that a 2003 should get new plugs every 100K Miles on normal duty and every 60K miles on severe duty.

Though we know their maintenance intervals for fluids should be cut in half. Maybe the same should be true for their wear parts like spark plugs too

sources :
Maintenance Schedule https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/03nmgmg6e.pdf
Why you should not follow intervals:

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just want to see whats plugs after 270k look like. I'm not even sure how there is an electrode left. I mean they wear out just like a pair of socks. I'd bet ford would like to see them too. Doubt there are many quarter of a million mile plugs in service.

My expedition has been one of the most reliable I've owned as well. I've put gas, oil, and a set if brakes, air filter, and a fuel filter. In 20k miles of ownership and I bought it at 205k. The previous owner took care of it and it shows the quality. I do plan to do the suspension as to the best of my knowledge its original and not quite as great as I'd like it to be, nothing is broken, just needs freshened up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65