Tuning the ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have really no idea (and probably should shut up) but still thinking out loud

The engine has a knock sensor and hence the ECU should be able to reduce timing, boost, whatever to avoid knocking. no?

No reason that the electronics can not handle that. theoretically....;-)....
You can take an sct x4 and run a tank of both 87 and 93 on a stock tune and see that the knock values are all over the place. Higher octane fuel normally lowers knock and ****** low octane fuel will raise it. Even with a 5 star calibration for 93 performance, you can run 93 octane and still eat above +5 knock. You send them a datalog and they change the timing which in turn lowers your knock value until you’re as close to 0 as possible when WOT. each truck is different but running lower octane fuel on a calibration that is looking for high octane is going tonseriosly mess some shit yp

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You can take an sct x4 and run a tank of both 87 and 93 on a stock tune and see that the knock values are all over the place. Higher octane fuel normally lowers knock and ****** low octane fuel will raise it. Even with a 5 star calibration for 93 performance, you can run 93 octane and still eat above +5 knock. You send them a datalog and they change the timing which in turn lowers your knock value until you’re as close to 0 as possible when WOT. each truck is different but running lower octane fuel on a calibration that is looking for high octane is going tonseriosly mess some shit yp
If what your saying is true, the SCT x4 tune, tells the PCM to ignore the knock sensor(and maybe red line?). Racers know, running your timing, too far advanced will shorten engine life. That is why they use race fuel(100+ octane) Running it constantly retarded(like a stock EB on 87), will not completely burn fuel and produce carbon. Look at the tailpipe of a vehicle with one. Its all carbon. The stock EB 3.5l should burn 91 or higher, all the time. The fuel saving myth of engine is exposed with some clever wording in the manual. The older fox body 5.0l Mustangs, all ran better with a manual distributor, timing tweak and air silencer removal. About 4 degrees was the max. The catch was you always had to use premium. On a newer vehicle, a mild 'tune' is best, but your also using premium all the time. There is no way around it.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If what your saying is true, the SCT x4 tune, tells the PCM to ignore the knock sensor(and maybe red line?). Racers know, running your timing, too far advanced will shorten engine life. That is why they use race fuel(100+ octane) Running it constantly retarded(like a stock EB on 87), will not completely burn fuel and produce carbon. Look at the tailpipe of a vehicle with one. Its all carbon. The stock EB 3.5l should burn 91 or higher, all the time. The fuel saving myth of engine is exposed with some clever wording in the manual. The older fox body 5.0l Mustangs, all ran better with a manual distributor, timing tweak and air silencer removal. About 4 degrees was the max. The catch was you always had to use premium. On a newer vehicle, a mild 'tune' is best, but your also using premium all the time. There is no way around it.
Bottom line is don’t run 87 on a 93 octane tune calibrated specifically for 93 octane. For anyone arguing this, if you’re not tuned then you’re arguments are null and void bc you have no clue what you’re talking about. Go ahead and run 87 on a higher octane tune. You’re local device provider and dealership will be so happy when you bring the truck in with issues.

@rjdelp7 you’re Expedition is 19 years old, you have no business running your mouth about something you’ve read about from one source online. You can get mild 87 octane tunes, it’s all about how reputable your guy who’s tuning it is and how much experience he has with the motor you’re tuning

S13ka24de

Reaction score
I installed the 5 star oct perf tune. The gas mileage became 13mpg and some error message came up about the pre collision function not working....when i loaded by to stock tune all is good. I just wish the factory would tune these better so we dont have too

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When the truck is stock it is basically dummy proofs for all types of driver/owners who treat it in a totally different way so it can last longer. When you change that balance (Tuning, lifting, modifying in any way) you are taking the dummy proof off the table. And when you change one thing it can effect not only the system that you changed but other systems as well. So there better be no guessing involved unless you don't care about your truck.
case and point...

https://www.motor1.com/news/348397/f150-drag-race-towing-trailer/

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Bottom line is don’t run 87 on a 93 octane tune calibrated specifically for 93 octane. For anyone arguing this, if you’re not tuned then you’re arguments are null and void bc you have no clue what you’re talking about. Go ahead and run 87 on a higher octane tune. You’re local device provider and dealership will be so happy when you bring the truck in with issues.

@rjdelp7 you’re Expedition is 19 years old, you have no business running your mouth about something you’ve read about from one source online. You can get mild 87 octane tunes, it’s all about how reputable your guy who’s tuning it is and how much experience he has with the motor you’re tuning
I am not running my mouth, you can tune or jet chip the 1st gen. You need read up. I don't want to run premium in a vehicle getting 13mpg. Some guys have tried, simply removing the knock sensor(under the intake). A so-called 87 tune, probably would be a waste of money. There isn't some magic, being performed on the newer models. I swear there is a couple people on this forum, working for a tuning company. If a 2016 recommends running 91 or higher, for max performance(according to the manual), why tune it for 87 octane? You are going backwards. Advancing the timing goes back to the model T. There was a lever on the steering wheel. I remember my cousin timing my first car in 1986 and adjusting the carb. Just about every Mustang owner has looked into tuning. I am using the Jet Performance Chip on mine. In NY we have 93 octane and that's all I use. I also add some Lucas fuel treatment and octane booster. It runs like a ***** ape.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not running my mouth, you can tune or jet chip the 1st gen. You need read up. I don't want to run premium in a vehicle getting 13mpg. Some guys have tried, simply removing the knock sensor(under the intake). A so-called 87 tune, probably would be a waste of money. There isn't some magic, being performed on the newer models. I swear there is a couple people on this forum, working for a tuning company. If a 2016 recommends running 91 or higher, for max performance(according to the manual), why tune it for 87 octane? You are going backwards. Advancing the timing goes back to the model T. There was a lever on the steering wheel. I remember my cousin timing my first car in 1986 and adjusting the carb. Just about every Mustang owner has looked into tuning. I am using the Jet Performance Chip on mine. In NY we have 93 octane and that's all I use. I also add some Lucas fuel treatment and octane booster. It runs like a ***** ape.
Go look on 5stars page at the gen1 F-150 dyno graphs of 87 tunes. Well worth it for the poor man that can’t afford good gas and wishes to run 87

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Go look on 5stars page at the gen1 F-150 dyno graphs of 87 tunes. Well worth it for the poor man that can’t afford good gas and wishes to run 87
WTF? what does some F150 graph have to do with my Expedition. I never met anyone who did an over the internet tune. SCT maybe. I am not spending $400 bucks to tune an old Expedition. The used one I have seen on EBAY will not work. SCT vin locks there units, so you can't even sell it used(thieves). I can afford Premium, but chose not use it in a daily driver. Its an Expedition for Christ sake, not a Vette. It runs perfect on 87. In my area there is a red light every 1/2 mile. What's the point of getting to one faster.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WTF? what does some F150 graph have to do with my Expedition. I never met anyone who did an over the internet tune. SCT maybe. I am not spending $400 bucks to tune an old Expedition. The used one I have seen on EBAY will not work. SCT vin locks there units, so you can't even sell it used(thieves). I can afford Premium, but chose not use it in a daily driver. Its an Expedition for Christ sake, not a Vette. It runs perfect on 87. In my area there is a red light every 1/2 mile. What's the point of getting to one faster.
Sct does not lock their units, plenty of ppl buy used ones unmarried and unlocked, I never said anything about tuning your expedition, this post is talking about tuning the ecoboost, not some junk 2000 Triton.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you obviously dont like to remember or research. I have personally told you multiple times, tuning a naturally aspirated engine and a forced induction engine is wildly different!!!!!!!!!!!! you are literally the only one in the 4th gen thread arguing about running 93 in a 1st gen naturally aspirated v8!!!! LOL. Clown!