Update Navigation maps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djbice

Reaction score
I'm a new member to this forum. I have a 2019 Expedition XLT EL with Sync 3 and Navigation and am finding that when I enter a destination some do not resolve so am thinking my navigation maps need an update? Where do you find map updates and is there a charge for it? Thanks

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
The following site will have the latest map update. Jist need your VIN and SYN# Radio ID (8 digit number)

i am using the latest version and find most of what I need. I am new to the DC metro area and use my in-vehicle navigation extensively, with very good luck.

airbrush

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I really like my Expedition but the mapping and navigation system totally sucks. Don't waste your money on an update. Ford should be ashamed.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a new member to this forum. I have a 2019 Expedition XLT EL with Sync 3 and Navigation and am finding that when I enter a destination some do not resolve so am thinking my navigation maps need an update? Where do you find map updates and is there a charge for it? Thanks
Just put my VIN# on the site @Michael Collins lists below and it is a painless way to search your question.
The following site will have the latest map update. Jist need your VIN and SYN# Radio ID (8 digit number)

i am using the latest version and find most of what I need. I am new to the DC metro area and use my in-vehicle navigation extensively, with very good luck.
My response from the website was a Yes to update available. In fact, it indicated I was entitled to a Complimentary Update via, I assume, Wi-Fi connection. Yet the site indicates that is not the safest way to update. Has anyone used the site to update via Wi-Fi? I haven't checked Wi-Fi connection strength yet but assume there is a way to do so. Headed for the manual now. Michael, thanks for the link. FYI, I didn't need the Radio ID to find out there is an update for my Expy. Maybe it's needed to actually update?

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
I downloaded the update to a USB drive on my laptop and then followed the installation instructions. Pretty easy and the map update was definitely needed. I think I am one of the few people who actually use the factory nav. I find it works very well 98% of the time and those times when it does not work, I am pretty sure Waze and other apps would have has the same issues.

My experience is my whenever I have a major issue, it was user error. I want to enter "700 South M Street" and the Nav unit wants me to enter "700 M street South". I find the same issue with my Gamin unit, Waze, Apple Maps and Google maps.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went through this process the other day thinking I had a complimentary update. IMPORTANT: Remember to confirm the map version you have installed with the latest map version listed on the website link from above. I learned the hard way, went through the whole process only to realize I had the current version! You would think it would tell you that but it does not. FYI, it does take a couple hours to download to your computer and when done you will need a 16GB+ usb drive.

Flight-ER-Doc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ford updates are not reasonably priced, imho, and I just use my phone or stand-alone Garmin GPS, both of which I had before my Expy.

Also, putting my VIN into that site gives me an error telling me to call customer service.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone know what version map update Ford is selling on their site at this point? I'm at NA 119.

BIGRED03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had no problem with the update process. Unfortunately the update was not so up to date with all of the recent changes on the interstate system. Also, just to nit pick the nav system still in Florida advises the driver to change lanes to pay toll even after the toll system is done by license plate camera now (toll booths removed) which has been this way for several years now.