Urgent help needed. 98 eb going hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a big problem with my EB 98, in 2 weeks the temperature goes from it normal operation level to Hot, but affer an hour of use. Before I note RPM ups a little (but I dont know if is because the engine is going hot), and then the gauge goes to H, but take some mins. I don't have any leak (I check all hoses), I don't know if could be a dirty radiator, because (I really don't know) if was the water pump maybe the temperature will go to H to fast, maybe a few minutes before start the engine, also I don't know if this engine have a termostate like for example the ranger, but also I think if the termostate stucks the temperature must go to H to fast.
Can any one help me with this problem? I don't know what to do. I don't have any leak.
Also as part of the information, 1 month ago I have a leak in the heater core, I use liquid alluminium from autozone for fix the leak (dont work hehehe), and I remove the heater core an joing the hooses from heater, this fix the leak, but I was wondering if this can cause something in the system.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Last edited:

Mikiedoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will start by asking if you have any check engine light on currently and if so, what codes?

Yes , we do have thermostats on these engines and they can fail just like any other wearable part. Also it is a cheap part and fairly easy to replace so I would probably start there.

Pouring any type of "stopleak" in your radiator reservoir can cause issues. I have seen these type additives clog up and cause more headaches than help.
This stuff clogs and swells all types of water orifaces ....like certain water jackets that have to flow water. I would take the expy in to get a complete flush of the coolant system.

Others will chime in with more ideas to assist you.

Good luck

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I used some of that stop leak crap back in the day when i had my Explorer, and it ended up clogging the thermostat, and causing the super fast heating of which you speak.

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
Thanks to all

Thanks to all for your help, I will start with a complete flush of the system, also change the termostat. And yes I have a code but is a P0155 (this thing never goes away, I change 2 times the O2 sensor, even change the front O2s from position left to right and right to left and the code still there) I check again yesterday with the scanner and only have P0155.
A few month ago I have the code P0401 (Egr valve), was a hoose, and I think this codes can't cause over heating to the engine.
I accept any new ideas.
Thanks a lot.

Mikiedoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That code is an oxygen sensor heater malfuction. It shouldnt have anything to do with your over heating issues.

You might want to check your wiring around the pigtail clips for the sensors, could very well be a short. Also, are the oxygen sensors ford parts?
If not then you could have gotten brand new ( bad ones ) from the parts store.
Bosch makes FOMOCO sensors, but for some reason the sensors they send to advance, autozone and other companies seem to have more quality control issues. Not saying that this is the cause, but something to check.

Keep us updated after your system flush.
Good luck.

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
Both front O2s are motorcraft, actually I change it 2 times, the first one with Bosch, and some guy told me that this cause the P0155 code, then I change to motorcraft but the code still there, is like a bad passenger in the engine hahaha.
After the complete flush and the change of the thermostat, I will check the pigtail in the O2s.
Thanks a lot

OP
OP
I

isanchezgdl

Reaction score
thanks to all for your help. the problem was solved with a complete flush of the system, cleaning the radiator and new thermostat.
Thanks to all.

bigal8thomas

Reaction score
oil and water mix in radiator

help i have oil and water mix in radiator but truck has never run hot. not mixed on oil cap or dipstick just slimey in rad resivore. seems like it burns oil though any ideas

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
help i have oil and water mix in radiator but truck has never run hot. not mixed on oil cap or dipstick just slimey in rad resivore. seems like it burns oil though any ideas

If you have oil in your radiator then you have a cracked head at the water passage and allowing oil from the head and valve train to seep into the water passage contaminating the antifreeze. If you had a cracked water valley in the block then you would have water or antifreeze in the oil pan contaminating the oil supply.

Last edited: