using overdrive to slow down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While going down steep hills, I have been hitting the OD button to slow the truck down so I don't have to use the brakes. Is this okay to do, or would it be better to downshift?

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do the same thing. I do not see anything wrong with it.
Actually, you are downshifting. When you hit the button, it takes the trans out of the OD gear (or prevents it from going into).

I personnaly would not downshift into the lower gears because of the high revs, but I think that the trans (computer) is smart enough that it would not downshift if the revs would be too high.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are correct in using this. That is exactly what it does. Basically it frees up the torque converter which goes into what they call 1 to 1 ratio at cruising speeds. :rockband:

G

A reputable ford transmission builder said in a post on another board that he wished they had never put that button on Fords as people misuse it everyday. I believe he said they were doing away with it.

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think they misuse it going the other way. Not allowing it to go into overdrive when itis safe to do so.

The Engine can safely rev to it's computer limited redline.

If your road speed is too fast then the TC lockout button will not work.

I've got some major mountains where I live and use PRIOR to decending the hill, not right in the middle.