Vacuum leak sound while accelerating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptWilly

Reaction score
My 2015 expedition (3.5 TT) has developed an odd vacuum leak kind of sound that seems to be coming from the area behind the glove compartment.

If I baby the accelerator it doesn't happen, but if I give it any substantial amount of gas I'll hear a sucking sound that dies out after approximately two or three seconds.

I'd never noticed it before so I'm thinking it's a new situation.

Anybody else out there experiencing the same kind of sound?

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My expedition has developed an odd vacuum leak kind of sound that seems to be coming from the area behind the glove compartment.

If I baby the accelerator it doesn't happen, but if I give it any substantial amount of gas I'll hear a sucking sound that dies out after approximately two or three seconds.

I'd never noticed it before so I'm thinking it's a new situation.

Anybody else out there experiencing the same kind of sound?
Year helps in these types of questions. The year tells us the the Motor we are dealing with. Have you checked hoses, and looked under the hood?

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome, lot of hvac stuff in that area, try turning off the heating system and see if it goes away.

ldo0444

Reaction score
I also have the same issue with my truck. It’s a 2016, 2wd with the 3.5 turbo engine. I have 180k miles and it otherwise runs great. I don’t know how long it may have been making this noise as I just purchased the truck used. I’m wondering if it’s something with the turbo? It only makes the sound under acceleration. If I am very easy on the gas pedal the sound doesn’t happen. I believe it’s coming from the engine, on the passenger side, near the rear of the engine compartment.
I’ll have to take it to my mechanic when I get the chance. But I’m not sure when, and it’s running fine despite the noise.

OP
OP
CaptWilly

CaptWilly

Reaction score
Year helps in these types of questions. The year tells us the the Motor we are dealing with. Have you checked hoses, and looked under the hood?
It's a '15. I have done an inspection and there's nothing obviously loose or disconnected. Dealer tech says it's a normal turbo sound but I'm incredulous...

OP
OP
CaptWilly

CaptWilly

Reaction score
I also have the same issue with my truck. It’s a 2016, 2wd with the 3.5 turbo engine. I have 180k miles and it otherwise runs great. I don’t know how long it may have been making this noise as I just purchased the truck used. I’m wondering if it’s something with the turbo? It only makes the sound under acceleration. If I am very easy on the gas pedal the sound doesn’t happen. I believe it’s coming from the engine, on the passenger side, near the rear of the engine compartment.
I’ll have to take it to my mechanic when I get the chance. But I’m not sure when, and it’s running fine despite the noise.
I'll be interested in what your mechanic tells you. The tech at my dealer did say it's a normal turbo sound, but I'm thinking it wasn't always there and started recently.