2017 Expedition w/ 3.5 Ecoboost -- engine sounds? (video included)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klaus2014

Reaction score
Thanks -- you mentioned catch can... In the research I've done, I came to the conclusion that they started putting the dual injection (port + direct) ecoboost 3.5 in the 2017 expeditions, which is a major reason i'm looking specifically for a 2017 model (in addition to the six speed tranny instead of the more recent 10 speed). Do some 2017 expeditions not have the ecoboost 3.5's with the additional port injection?
The 2017 F-150's got the next gen ecoboosts but unfortunately the Expeditions didn't get them until the redesign in 2018, so there isn't port injection in any of the 17 expeditions sadly (unless my research a few years back was wrong). Personally okay with it since those next gen ecoboosts have been known to eat cam phasers every 60k miles. You can have clean valves on the former generation EB with a catch can for a fraction of the cost it would be to have the dealer tear into the newer engines to replace phasers ;)

rndlmn4

Reaction score
If you think it may be the way the phone picked up the sound, you might try this. Ask a friend, or a local Ford dealer, to let you listen to a 3.5 EB idle. Record it with your phone from 3 ft, 5 ft, and 10 ft away. Listen to the recorded sound file and see if it sounds similar. As an option to that, go to a service garage - not a Ford dealer - and ask how much experience they have working on the 3.5 EB. Have them listen to the recording. The shop I go to has a lot of experience with them. The owner drives one and the shop services our county's police vehicles.
FWIW, my 2015 has 76K miles and doesn't make that sound - at least not obviously to the naked ear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett