Vehicle shutting off - acting erratically

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is not a battery issue. The prior owner had the battery replaced under warrantee in November in an effort to remedy the problem - which it did not. When the problem started I unhooked the battery for a night to try to clear the computer. That didn't work. I then swapped the battery with a new one that I got for my boat, and that didn't work. This is definitely a network/ground/wiring problem.

The OP on this thread hasn’t logged on in months since his fixed itself.

Is yours still doing it after the BCM was replaced?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 2011 Grand Cherokee went nearly 10 years on the original battery! Just replaced it this Fall. It’s was AGM and is in a compartment under the passenger seat. It was also garaged its entire life. Wonder if those factors helped?

it only got replaced because the compressor for the suspension failed and the dealer had it for weeks struggling to get the new compressor working. They finally determined it was a bad battery, so we replaced it and all was well. Vehicle still started, ran, and worked fine other than that. So I just kept going to see how long it would last!

AGM battery can make all the difference. Location of where it was installed which is a reason it had to be AGM. Garage kept helped too. Less temperature variation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2011 Grand Cherokee went nearly 10 years on the original battery! Just replaced it this Fall. It’s was AGM and is in a compartment under the passenger seat. It was also garaged its entire life. Wonder if those factors helped?

it only got replaced because the compressor for the suspension failed and the dealer had it for weeks struggling to get the new compressor working. They finally determined it was a bad battery, so we replaced it and all was well. Vehicle still started, ran, and worked fine other than that. So I just kept going to see how long it would last!

Same here, with my 2011 WK2, I only replaced the battery because I put a 9500 winch on and the factory battery wasn't going to support the winch well, actually I also replaced it because of the mono-block amp and JL Audio stealthbox I put in. But I believe the truth is likely above from @LokiWolf . they're installing batteries that will just barely make it past the standard bumper to bumper, and hoping that at least half of the owners will go to a dealer to get a new battery. Pretty shady.

Paul Bird

Reaction score
I limped mine in to the local dealership on new years eve night, having to put the key in the cup holder to get there with lights flashing, mirrors moving, and all kinds of error messages. The service techs got to it the following Monday (four days later) and it was still doing it. They ordered the body control module (which took another four days to get) and before it got there, it just stopped and acted completely normal. They went ahead and replaced it and it hasn't happened since. Looking at the Oasis report from Ford Service, the prior owner had the problem pop up about every three months or so. I am 99% sure that the problem isn't solved and will be back.

I read about an owner of a 2018 F150 Platinum that had a similar problem that the dealership spent three weeks troubleshooting. They pulled the entire wiring harness out of the vehicle and replaced it only for that to not fix the problem. Turned out it was condensation that had entered a taillight assembly through a seam line. This was causing erratic signals over the entire CANbus network. Once they replaced the light assembly, problem solved to never return.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's nuts about the taillight assembly causing the issues. What that tells me, is that the use of the CANbus network has become so critical, yet the troubleshooting capabilities for it are way far behind. To me, this would be like writing an application but having no way to troubleshoot the code. Imagine that, a million lines of code, but you could figure out which module or line of code was causing an issue. Certainly hope it's nothing like this for you.