Vids on YouTube about the 5.4 Triton Make Me Want To Back Out of this Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2011 with 60,000 miles and also had a 2014 which I traded in at 33,000 miles. Both had 5.4 / 3 valve engines and I have not had any engine issues with either. I religiously change oil and filter every 3500 - 4000 miles on all my vehicles and have heard that is a significant factor in the reliability of this engine.

I have a friend who had a 2014 5.4 3 Valve who drove it a lot (over 50,000 miles a year) and only changed his oil every 8,000 or so miles and lost an engine at around 150k.

To me, it would be important to know the maintenance history of the vehicle. For that matter, the same should be true of any used vehicle you consider buying.

The 5.4 3 Valve may have faults, but I will say it is a much better performer in a heavy vehicle like the Expedition than the 5.4 2 valve.

So you clocked a mere 93k, which essentially demonstrates nothing about reliability. Your friend blew the engine at 150k, which is a very early demise. Were you arguing for or against the 5.4L Triton? :rolleyes:

I haven't been thrilled with the 5.4L Triton, but it hasn't been abysmal either. At 207k, it still has less miles on it than my previous 4 vehicles and I expect the engine to go before it ever hits the miles the others did. However, 200k is certainly acceptable; it just isn't exceptional.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you clocked a mere 93k, which essentially demonstrates nothing about reliability. Your friend blew the engine at 150k, which is a very early demise. Were you arguing for or against the 5.4L Triton? :rolleyes:

I haven't been thrilled with the 5.4L Triton, but it hasn't been abysmal either. At 207k, it still has less miles on it than my previous 4 vehicles and I expect the engine to go before it ever hits the miles the others did. However, 200k is certainly acceptable; it just isn't exceptional.
What I'm saying as a response to the OP's question is it appears that the 5.4 3 valve is a reasonably reliable engine when properly and regularly maintained and to determine if the vehicle he is considering was well maintained and had regular oil changes.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I'm saying as a response to the OP's question is it appears that the 5.4 3 valve is a reasonably reliable engine when properly and regularly maintained and to determine if the vehicle he is considering was well maintained and had regular oil changes.
I will add that the 5.4 2 valve is even more dependable and reliable even when it's neglected and or abused!
The three valve.....not so much.
I have seen a good number of the 4.6 and 5.4 two valves never had oil changes and maybe only once or twice in their lives had a new oil filter screwed on them.
I mean this literally. I have a friend who lives Ohio for the temperature gets pretty cold who ran a 95 Town Car but he bought used for about 12 years and never change the oil once. He switched it to 15w 50 Rotel a diesel oil because it was fairly cheap and slowed the oil leakage and oil consumption from the valve seals and all of that.
He had to add a couple of quarts fairly often but it was basically self-changing.
I've seen other vehicles that were in severe duty like taxi cabs and limousines that once they were started, they would idle for 10 to 15 hours so the miles were not an accurate reflection of the actual use of the engine. Many of these things we're neglected beyond belief and they still lasted 20 to 25 years with most having over 250k on them. I've personally driven limousines with 406k on them that ran like a new one despite the check engine light being on all the time.
That's how most of them roll. If it runs fine and isn't shaking or low on power who cares with the light is on.

Untamed347

Reaction score
Two months ago we purchased a 2007 Expedition Limited 4wd with 104k on the clock.

Dead cold starts on these 5.4 3v is key to knowing common issues. Engine oil changes at 3-5k with synthetic 5w30 is a must.

Just replaced spark plugs(get engine hot, easy work), fuel filter, air filter, oil change(syn 5w30), serviced a/c used all motorcraft parts. Engine is very smooth and the transmission shifts nicely firm. So far we are very happy with our purchase.