Vids on YouTube about the 5.4 Triton Make Me Want To Back Out of this Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is at 172k miles and still going strong. Regular routine maintenance and front end timing work every 150k miles will keep these running forever.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a former Ford tech I'll say the big thing is change the oil. People try and go over 10,000 mile OCI, and that's when oil will start gelling in the head. That sludge is what will plug the ports and cause all sorts of issues. My 07 3 valve has 165,000 miles on it and I just had the valve covers off to replace the gaskets, super clean and zero cam chain, tensioner, or phaser issues.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
I bought a 2010 Expedition used in June of 2010 with only 10,000 miles on it. Today it has 218,000 miles on it, and I have changed the oil religiously ever since I bought it. It experienced 2 bleeding tensioners at 217,000 miles, and I completed re-did the timing set. The 5.4 3V has its problems with the timing/phasers, but as long as you change the oil religiously, you will be fine.

Roast4570

Reaction score
2008 with 246,000 miles on the clock and no real problems mechanically. Switching to 5w30 can be your best friend with these motors. Just keep up maintenance diligently.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2011 has 115k on her. Clean 5w 30 synthetic I believe will keep her happy for many years.

robert2015

Reaction score
I have a 2006 with 290,000 miles on it. I did the cam phasers at 285,000 just because I had a faint noise. Turned out to be a roller rocker, but the timing chain, guides, phasers and tensioners we're perfect. 5000 mile oil changes and always used 5w-30 Mobil One with BG MOA additive and either a napa gold filter or motocraft. I also use BG EPR and this engine was emaculate inside. The biggest issue with this engine was the pathetic exhaust manifold studs Ford used. I swapped them out for stainless studs, after spending a day getting 3 broken ones out of the passenger side head at 119,000.
Biggest issue is if the oil was changed regularly and a quality silicone valve filter was used. Good luck

blackls1z

Reaction score
FWIW I have a 2011 Ford Exp EL with 207k on the clock. *knock on wood* it has not given me any trouble whatsoever. Like others have stated - its all about doing your regular maintenance stuff

TrickerZ

Reaction score
I've had my 07 for a few years now. I've had to change out the HVAC diverters, do some suspension work, change the transmission fluid, and replace the alternator. It has a leak somewhere in the radiator that I still need to fix (I've been using distilled water without antifreeze because FL) and I had some chain slap on startup when I bought it that has gone away after switching to 5w30 synthetic. I have about 150k on it. Transmission had a lot of metal shavings on the magnet when I changed the fluid. I would say changing the fluid more often would be a very wise decision. I changed it at about 130k after having groaning sounds at like 50mph under slight load. Mostly fixed the issue and I still need to change the fluid again to get the rest of the junk out. Only thing that doesn't work is my driver side heated seat. Cooling works fine, so being in FL, it's not a big deal.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
Got 213,000 on our 2008 and we are very happy with it. Look at the truck not YouTube. Condition, condition, condition.

Pilgrim

Reaction score
I have a 2008 at over 280,000 with nothing but oil changes (and the passenger side manifold ticking on cold start ;-)). It looks like it's gonna rust through at the front of the rear wheel wells just inside rear doors before it dies mechanically!
My 2015 with the 3.5 is at about 140,000 and has me more nervous than the older one.