Water Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I've been reading some threads on here about the cooling system, and am looking at replacing the water pump. My question is about these "performance" water pumps. Are they worth the money? Will I notice a difference.

An example of what I'm talking about

I'm mostly concerned about the time it takes to heat up in the winter, and rarely haul anything. I'm also planning on doing e-fans down the line, but didn't know if I should invest in something like this or just find motorcraft replacement part?

Thanks for any advice

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were me I would not get that, I would stick with stock. Rock Auto has pumps from $32 cheapo - $90 Motorcraft..... but thats just me.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
IAExpy, it is great that the pump flows all that water. But, this is the issue, your thermostat is a restriction in the cooling system and it purposely is built that way so it controls how much water is going to the radiator. You don't pump enough water to the radiator, the motor gets too hot. You pump too much you can get over cooling or ironically, no cooling (you are pumping the water so fast through the radiator, it doesn't have time to cool).

Like jrjr said, stick with stock and go from there. I don't see that water pump being worth that. Now, if you have a wildly modified motor and you have done some other modifications to the coolant system, then it might be a wise idea, but I doubt you have done all that work.

OP
OP
IAExpy

IAExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, you're right about the so far stock cooling system. Guess I'll stick to a stock or near stock replacement. Don't want to upgrade things that I won't notice, thanks guys.